Home Sweet Home | Teen Ink

Home Sweet Home

By Talia McAuliffe SILVER, Abington, Massachusetts
Talia McAuliffe SILVER, Abington, Massachusetts

My house is in a constant state of chaos. Everyone always in and out like bees in the hive, buzzing around to get everything done. But like a beehive, it’s also a safe haven, cozy and protecting. My mother, ruler of the house, heart of the home, always making sure everyone is taken care of. My house is a reflection of her, comforting, always there when you need her. She makes sure the house is always so pristine, it beams with pride with every sparkle of the tiled floor.

The kitchen is the busiest part of the house. There’s always things to do, food being cooked, it’s intoxicating smell drafting lazily through the hallway, luring us in. There are always conversations, criticisms; asked for or not, advice being passed down from mothers and sisters who think they know everything. But whether or not these are conversations of arguments, they come from a place of love.  The kitchen is where we are all together, and that is when we are at our best.

The family room is my favorite part of the house because it is the exact opposite of the kitchen. It is cozy and warm, a place where you can just relax. The whole room is handsome in a rustic way, with natural, cabin- like wood walls and a wood stove fireplace standing on slightly dilapidated but still sturdy grey and brown bricks. I especially love around the holidays when the lights and shiny ornaments on the christmas tree give the whole room a cheerful glow. All the best celebrations happen in this room, from family parties to Christmas to Easter. I hope that I always look back upon this house and think of it as my home.