It’s Time To Rock & Rye | Teen Ink

It’s Time To Rock & Rye

May 16, 2017
By birb.fm BRONZE, GIlbert, Arizona
birb.fm BRONZE, GIlbert, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I’ve always been a bit of a geek for certain things. Namely music and soda. While my friends aren’t huge fans of my music tastes, the one thing we do have in common is a love of soda. All of us had grown up on things like Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper and Sprite. But I was… different. I grew up on Shirley Temples and a mixture of every soda in a fountain at once. And my tastes have remained odd to this day. But recently, I’ve turned my attention to what I believe is the greatest soda company in North America: Faygo.


Now, many of you are likely asking: “What is this ‘fay-go’ you speak of?” First of all, that's offensive, and secondly, Faygo is a small soda company out of Detroit, Michigan. They sell a variety of sodas, such as RedPop, Vanilla Creme, and my personal favorite, Rock & Rye. Close your eyes and imagine if you will, a mixture of Dr. Pepper, Cream Soda, and Cherry Coke all rolled into one, dark red, carbonated, soda. When I first bought this, I was unsure of just how much I would like this, but then I gave it the ol’ college try. And I loved it. I had no idea a soda could be this amazing.

But there's obviously more to Faygo than just Rock & Rye. Faygo has plenty of other flavors. Like strawberries? Try RedPop. More of a Root Beer fan? Try Faygo Root Beer, rated the best root beer in america by food magazine Bon Appétit. Just want a regular old Cream Soda? Try Vanilla Cream. In for a trip to the county fair? Try out Cotton Candy or Candy Apple. I could go on for hours. With over 50 flavors, there’s a Faygo for you, me, and that guy down the street that yells at birds.

If there’s one thing I can say for sure about my little run in with Faygo it’s this: It has made me a better person. And yes, I know that sounds absurd, but hear me out. For years I’ve been afraid to try new things. I was afraid to try new foods as a kid, I was afraid to go on vacation to the Galapagos Islands in 2008, and I was afraid to branch out of the Cherry Coke hole I was in before I had Faygo. But trying Faygo opened my eyes to new experiences. It made me more open to trying new things. My shelf of soda bottles is growing by the day, and my bottlecap collection gets heavier with every soda I drink. But most of all, my desire for new experiences has grown. That’s why I love a 110 year old soda company from the other side of the country so much.


The author's comments:

I just really like Faygo.