I Believe Human Kindness Isn't Dead | Teen Ink

I Believe Human Kindness Isn't Dead

By kathrynnicole BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
kathrynnicole BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona

In a world full of bombings, wars, and missile crises, it is easy for a person to believe that the world has gone to complete and utter garbage. In a way it has: murder has been on the up and up for the past 100 years, overall happiness in America has seen a drastic decline because of stress in tandem with things such as false news running rampant on social media as well as on the regular news on occasion. In spite of all of this, the world still is a good place. Why? Human kindness. I believe that human kindness isn't dead.

It exists in the simple forms of day interactions. When the grocery store attendant helps you when you are awkwardly lost in the dog food section when you are looking for the popsicles, when you are walking down the street, bump into another person, and a kind pedestrian says sorry before you get the chance, and also when a person is patient with another when the ladder is dealing with something they don’t particularly enjoy. All of these have happened to me, and are why I believe, contrary to popular belief, human kindness isn’t dead.

It exists in the closest, most intimate, of relations. From the simple touch of a mother with her newborn child for the comfort and well being of both to a doctor staying late a a hospital to console a family who had just lost its father, son, and husband. All of these things are plausible, and that is why I believe human kindness isn't dead.
It exists in me, not only because of the kindness of others but because of the trials I have been through. When I was ten, I was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome, a condition that results in the kidneys shutting down as a result of multiple possible factors. For me, it is autoimmune, which means that my body attacks itself.  It affects my life to this day. My struggles have made me more empathetic to others, more motivated to help them when they are struggling. More motivated to help, even when they are a stranger or not outwardly showing care back towards me. More motivated to help just because I want to make a difference. All of these things I have done, and that is why I believe human kindness isn't dead.

So why is human kindness really not dead? The answer is simple; selfless people will not let it die and fail the brutal test of time. They will have it persevere. Why is this important? Because it allows us to stay human, to not fall into the primaries scuffles of our primal ancestors. It makes us human, that's why it's called human kindness.