Camping Trip | Teen Ink

Camping Trip

By kcking828 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
kcking828 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day on the lake. On this particular day, I was on a camping trip with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. Today was the  one day of our trip where we had no plans at all, it was a day to relax and enjoy ourselves. We were in for a treat.

The day started out wonderful. We woke up at the crack of dawn and decided to take a morning walk throughout the campsite. After we returned, my uncle made a delicious breakfast of fruit, orange juice, eggs and bacon. The comforting smell of bacon is quite amazing, yet alone tasting it when it is done. Not only the bacon, but there is nothing like having a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice when you wake up in the morning.

It was only nine in the morning when we had breakfast, and we could already tell that it would be a hot and humid day-which is the perfect recipe for thunderstorms. I have been camping by this lake two times before this trip and have never came home with something that wasn't damaged by the horrendous thunderstorms. It was odd, because you think I would've learned my lesson, but I didn't. That night, my decision of not keeping an eye on the weather would catch up with me.

Since the temperature kept on climbing throughout the day, I suggested that the perfect way to deal with it would be to go on a nice, long boat ride around the lake. We also brought along the tubes and enjoyed an afternoon of tubing. After we traveled back to our campsite so we could enjoy a simple, yet a a scrumptious lunch of sandwhiches. Soon after, the heat once again became unbearable, so it was time to hit the lake and go swimming for a few hours. The feeling of jumping into the cold, refreshing water after you have been hot is quite satisfying.

After spending the whole day in swimsuits to combat the heat, it was time to get dressed to go have dinner. A friend of my aunt, to this day, has a cabin on the lake and was very generous to have all of us come over for a steak dinner. We ate, and visited with him for a few hours. Soon after, we became very exhausted from the long day we had and were really longing to go back to our tents and sleep the night away. We did not know this at the time, but we were supposed to get a storm later on. We had a long night ahead of us.

We said our goodbyes and drove back to the campsite. As soon as we got back, we all put on our pajamas and went to  bed. A few hours later, I woke up to a big BOOM, as the top of the tent slapped against my face. I have never screamed so loud in my life. Turns out, there was a sever thunderstorm right over us that was ravaging the campsite. The wind was so strong that part of our tent was broken. Eventually, my two cousins, that I was sharing the tent with, woke up and they were just as scared as I was. The storm was so awful, that water was leaking into our tent. Before we could even realize it, our blankets, pillows, and air mattresses were soaked. The wind was as horrid as ever, and was blowing our whole tent around. After what seemed like an eternity, we managed to find our way to the front door of the tnet and zipped oursleves out. Then, we ran to the truck and decided it would be best to wait out the rest of the storm there. Sadly, we had no other choice but to camp out in the truck. It was not comfortable by any means, but I somehow managed to get some sleep. As I dozed off, I already knew that there was alot in store for the next day.

I woke up and was quite shocked at the sight that I saw. Our tent was not completely demolished, but part of it was on the ground. I walked in, and there was a lake in our tent. the amount of water was unbelievable, and our air mattresses were flaoting on top of it. Camping five hours away from home, it wasn't easy to just pack up and leave. Once everyone woke up, everything we brought had to be aired out, but how is it possible to do that when it was still dreary outside? This is where my aunt's friend came in handy once again. Everything was packed up as best as it could be, and we went to his cabin and layed everything out all over the yard. Thankfully, throughout the day the weather started to improve. And all of our blankets, pillows, beds, clothes, and bags were able to be dried out before we went to bed the next night. The day turned out to not be so bad. Once all of our stuff was laid out, we drove to a differnet lake, which is very close to the United States-Canada border, and we hiled. The hike was stunning. It was three miles round trip, and we were able to seea beautiful waterfall, many different plants and animals. and enjoy the scenery. We found a picnic table along the way, and were  able to eat lunch. Next, came my favorite part of the trip. We found a mini golf course on our way back to the cabin, and decided that it would be fun to go mini golfing. After we were done, we got to enjoy a cold, creamy ice cream cone. The so-called terrible day ended up to be beautiful and loads of fun.

One problem we ran itno after we returned to the cabin, is that our tents were broke, and our air mattresses would not blow up. When we came back from the day of hiking and mini golfing, it was fairly close to night time. We needed to find a solution to our problem as fast as we could. It was not possible to afford a hotel room for the amount of people that were on the trip. This means that our only option was to sleep in the cabin. Eight people had to sleep on the floor, in the living room of a teeny cabin. The living room was about the size of a bedroom. Somehow, we fit everyone in there and managed to get some sleep that night.

That day, I learned a very important lesson. Even if things don't work out well, and you may want to run away from it, you should learn to make the most out of the situation. Throughout the trip, we came across many problems. The first one was the thunderstorm, which was not only scary, but it caused our tents and bedding to break. All of us who were on the trip had no choice but to sleep in the living room of a very small cabin. However instead of complaining and going back home, we decided to stay and go along with our plans. The point is that whenever something goes wrong in your life, you are the one to choose it to control you and your happiness. If you keep a positive attitude, everything will always be better.

I wanted to write about this because it was a great memory for me, and I feel like others need to learn the same lesson that I did.