She Is the Girl

Her name is Sarah.  She is the girl, who only wears her hair in a ponytail, because if she wears it any other way, she will be too self-conscious to go about her day.  She is the girl, who only wears sweatshirts and jeans, because anything else would be too different.  She changes her sweatshirt five times in the morning, because she might have already worn it this week or it looks too baggy with the already oversized sweatpants.  She wears the same old boots, because anything else might look stupid with what she wears.  She is the girl, who stays quiet in class, because anything she says could be wrong.  She is the girl, who no one knows and is forgotten about.  She doesn’t have any friends, because she might seem too weird to go and meet new people.  She doesn’t go out much, because she doesn’t feel comfortable in public.  She is the girl who pays close attention to the way she walks, swings her arms, and the way people look at her, because she might look silly.  She is the girl who people ask, “Why don’t you do something different with your hair?”  She is the girl who people say, “I miss seeing you in something other than a sweatshirt and sweatpants.”  She is the girl, who hates who she is and how she acts, but will not change in fear of who she will become.  She is the girl who fears change, but needs to change so dearly.  I am Sarah, and I need to learn to change.