The Change When I Was Two | Teen Ink

The Change When I Was Two

By Elyssa BRONZE, Lawson, Missouri
Elyssa BRONZE, Lawson, Missouri

When I was a little kid, two years old, my parents got a divorce and I don’t remember much, but my mom got remarried. So my life changed a little bit, in a good way. My step dad is a big impact in my life. He has helped me a lot throughout my life with sports, life lessons, and school. He has been working with me since I was about six years old and he is still working with me to this day.

First, my step dad has taught me a lot about sports. He has put a lot of his time teaching me everything that I need to know. He introduced me to all of the sports that I love to play. We have also went through some sports that I didn’t like so much like soccer and cheerleading. The sport he helped me with the most is softball. He was the one who kept making me progress and get better. Softball is my favorite sport out of all of the sports that I play. I have put a lot of my time into softball, like playing every weekend in tournaments and practicing every Sunday and my step dad has helped me with it all.

My step dad has been my coach in almost every sport. I have played some sports that he hasn’t coached me in yet. Even if I think that I’m already good enough, I know that I still have a lot of ways to improve. When we are outside playing catch on a hot day or even out on the softball field, basketball, or volleyball court, I know that he will have something to teach me once it is all over. After every game I play, it doesn’t matter what sport it is, my step dad and I always have a talk after the game. It doesn’t matter what my emotions are like, if I’m angry at the world or a ball full of sunshine, he will still give me the same talk. Usually it’s about what I did well, what I did wrong, what I can to do better, and what I need to do better next time.

After every talk we have, he always ends it with, “You did well; I’m proud of you.”

This is one of the why my step dad has made a positive impact in my life.

Second, my step dad has taught me a lot of life lessons with everything. If I ever have any questions, I can always go to him and talk to him about it. It doesn’t matter what it is about. Also, if I want to do anything, I usually go and ask him because I know he will say yes.

If I want to go to my friend’s house or go do something, I ask him, but then he always comments, “It’s fine with me, but you better ask your mom.” 

I also ask him to buy me shoes, clothes, or other stuff that I like. If I have anything I need to talk about or advice about anything, he is always there and I feel comfortable talking to him about it. Anything I ask him he is always right and if I try to compete with him, I never win; he is literally always right. When I am down and not in a good mood my step dad tries to put me in a good mood and sometimes it works but not all of the time. 

Something else he has thought me is to not fight with my little sister and to just let her be and not say anything to her. This is the second reason my step dad has made a big impact on me.

Finally, the third reason why my step dad has made an impact in my life is because he helps me with school. He helps me with math the most because that was what he was good at in school. He tries to help me with other subjects but it doesn’t go very well. He always puts his input with school and I listen to him most of the time; it just depends on what it is. When it comes to school, I ask him about school, sports, and math. For the other subjects, I ask my mom about them.

If there is something that I don’t understand and he doesn’t get, he just tells me to wing it and exclaims, “Hopefully you do well.”

He always tries to help me if he can. This is why I have so much trust in my step dad.

In conclusion, my step dad has been there for me through thick and thin and I know I can always count on him. I knew that it was going to be hard to accept a new person who wasn’t my dad and I knew it was going to be different than all my of other friends’ families. He has helped me with a lot in life.  I can say that I am where I am today because of him.  He is a big impact on me and I’m very thankful that I have him in my life. I wouldn’t be who I am today without him.

When I was two years old my parents got a divorce. I had to accept a new man in my life that wasn't my real dad and it took some time to accept him, but the time I was five he was a big impact of my life. He help me with so much and is always here for me whenever I need him.

I choose to write about my step dad is because when I was two my parents got a divorce, so I had to accept a new man in my life that wasn't my dad. I was five years old when I got used to it and start was had happened and why he was in my life. He has been a big impact on my life he did a lot for me.