The Event that Changed My Life | Teen Ink

The Event that Changed My Life

By mshorter19 BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
mshorter19 BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

A main event that changed my perspective on life was when my dad suffered from a heart attack. On June 17th, 2016 my family went through this traumatic experience. At about 9:00 p.m., my dad started complaining of chest pains. I went downstairs and he was huddled on the couch, breathing heavily. Even though my mom told me not to, I immediately started panicking. My heart fell into my chest, and my palms got sweaty. I went upstairs to my bedroom to try and get some rest, although that did not work out very well. At about 12:00 p.m., my mom called me and said my dad was being rushed to the hospital. Even though I wanted to panic, I could not because I wanted to be strong for my little sisters. The next morning, my grandmother came to my house, told my sisters and I that my dad suffered a heart attack, and brought us to the hospital.

When we had finally arrived at the hospital, I could not get out of the car. I was nervous to walk in and make my nightmare a reality. Walking into the hospital, my stomach had butterflies and my heart was beating out of my chest. My sisters were crying and holding on to each other, but I could not get myself to join in on the embrace. As we entered the hospital, there was a waiting room and a front desk with a nurse. The nurse brought us to the ICU, where my dad was staying. As I got into the elevator, my knees felt weak and the elevator doors started to close in. My heart was pounding and I was crammed into my own little bubble. Everything went silent, and all I thought of was my dad and if he was going to be okay. Arriving in the ICU was awful. The image of doctors rushing in and out of the doors and working with patients were imprinted in my brain. The heart monitor and other machine’s bright lights were blinking in my eyes. My grandmother was in the corner crying, probably hoping her son would not pass before her. The smell of air freshener and mint filled my nostrils. I immediately encountered that ‘hospital smell.’ I heard the doctors screaming orders to nurses. Doctors were also giving information to patient’s families. My dad’s doctor came in and started telling us what happened with my dad. Even though I could not keep focus, I heard him say one of my dad’s arteries were clogged and that we were very lucky he survived. Although it was a major heart attack, the doctor said that my dad would make a full recovery. The weight on my shoulder was suddenly lifted a little, as he said this.  As soon as he left, a nurse brought my dad in. He was in a bed and he looked so sad and weak. I wanted to squeeze him but I could not move. Next thing I know, I tasted the warm tears that rolled down my cheek even though I did not even notice I was crying. I walked over to him and touched his hand. It was cold against my warm, clammy hand. I leaned down and gave him a kiss against the side of his face, and his scruff rubbed against my cheek. I could not take it anymore, so I walked to the bathroom and began sobbing. I remember my friend calling me and asking if everything was okay. I sat on the tile floor of the bathroom. Chills covered my body, and I started shaking and rubbing my legs.  My grandma came through the door and sat next to me. She did not speak but just held me like she did when I was little. We sat in the bathroom for hours until it was time to leave. My sister eventually came and pulled us out. I was able to see my dad once again before I left. I kissed him on the cheek and gave him a slight hug, in fear of hurting him. As I was leaving the hospital, I could finally breathe again. I thanked God for being with my dad and for ending that awful day.

My dad’s recovery process was a long one. He stayed in the hospital for 4 days. When he got home, it was much different. My breathing got heavy every time I looked at him. It took my family a while to get things back to normal. What I received from this awful experience is to not take things for granted. Before the accident, I did not tell my dad I loved him everyday, now I do. I spend much more time with my family now than I did before, as well. I also learned that life is short and it should be lived to the fullest. I thank God everyday for my life and for saving my dad.

This piece was very hard to write.