It's a Wonderful Life | Teen Ink

It's a Wonderful Life

May 4, 2017
By ecouv BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
ecouv BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I wait in the wings trying to say my lines in my head before I go on but I am unable to focus on anything other than my heavy heartbeat. I start to take my first steps into position, finding my place on stage, I breathe deeply and look out to see the audience. I stand on a platform at the top of the stage so I can see almost everyone in the house intently watching me and I watching them. Then I bring my attention back to the lower area of the stage making eye contact with the other actors. I say my first line with ease, and then the next and the next. Until I am subconsciously on my last lines when the audience busts out laughing so boisterously apparently you could hear them backstage. I run off stage back into the wings and soak in all the delighted laughter coming from the house of the auditorium. I relief and overwhelming joy that I had delivered my lines without any hiccups and in a way that made people laugh and enjoy themselves. That feeling of knowing that I had touched people in a certain way that made them forget about their troubles and instead smile for a little while made me realize how important theatre is in my life and in the lives of others. It made me realize that my purpose in life is to make others happy and so overcome with glee that they smile. This moment changed my life because it made me realize “it’s a wonderful life.”


The author's comments:

This is a paragraph about my first role in a play.