Jellies | Teen Ink

Jellies

By PhatHoe BRONZE, Madison, Georgia
PhatHoe BRONZE, Madison, Georgia

Story about a kid who doesnt like to leave his comfort zone but goes to the beach and gets stung by a jellyfish.

Chapter 1: Jellies

Jellies
It was finally time to forget school and all my others worries. We got into the car, and mom pulled out of the driveway onto the road. We sped away towards Tybee Island.
When we arrived I wish I could say I was amazed at all the sand and beautiful sites, but I was really playing Mario on my Gameboy. After cruising around looking at the city, we found our hotel. The hotel contained all sorts of commodities, ranging from pools to free shampoo. I ran to the leather couch and plopped down onto the soft dark brown cushions, thrilled to be out of the cramped car. We stayed for a while to get accustomed to the room, and then we set off to explore and maybe get some food.
The sun cast beautiful orangish, reddish rays over the sandy city as men and women walked on both sides of the streets. We passed several shops with all kinds of knick knacks that I wanted to have, but mom told me they were just junk. We arrived at The Crab Shack. Mom and my step dad, Jeremy, ordered some fish while I ordered chicken tenders like usual. My little brother ordered a  cheeseburger. Then we went back to the hotel, so we could rest for the next day.
The alarm clock blared until we got up with a scowl on our face. We all took a shower and got ready to go to the beach. I was so excited. The wet sand beneath my feet would feel so good, and the salty breeze would soothe me. My mom yelled at me to go brush my teeth. After my teeth were clean, I trudged back to the car where they were all waiting.
We got something to eat and hit the beach. It was everything I hoped for. I ripped off my shirt, put on my floaties, and ran into the waves. As soon as I hit the water my mom shrieked at me. “Get your butt out of that water, and put on some sunscreen!” she said.
“Yes, ma'am,” I replied wistfully and stepped out of the water. When I got back to the water, I was in love. The waves hit me and I would try and hit them to show how strong I was because you know all boys are like that. My mom, brother, and step-dad came and joined me. They brought a boogey board, the best way to have fun on a beach. Jeremy took me out to the deeper waters with the enormous waves and would push me when the wave came. I rode the wave all the way to the shore. It was exhilarating. Then we took the board out to the deep water to relax. Jeremy and I talked and had a good time. I laid back on the boogie board with both my legs and arms in the water, soaking up the sunshine. 
A very sudden and serious pain shot out from my leg. It felt as if the skin were melting off, and the muscle was being eaten. I screamed. Jeremy tried to calm me, but tears were rolling down my cheeks and I couldn't stop yelling. Jeremy looked into the water and said, “Matthew it was just a Jellyfish. You'll be alright.”
“But it hurts!” I cried  back. Jeremy used the bogey board to carry me to the shore. He told me to walk to the car, so I limped across the scalding sand. Every step caused an agonizing pain. He offered to pee on it. I refused.
We returned to the hotel. I got into the chlorine pool and it soothed my aching leg. After the pain and irritation settled. Jeremy immediately began making jokes. I spent the rest of the day on the couch and didn't want to go anywhere, especially the ocean, but I wasn't going to let a little jellyfish ruin my vacation.
The next morning I convinced myself to go back to the ocean. We gathered our things and hopped in the car. I couldn't stand to leave such a place scared to enjoy the best part. I step into the warm, ocean water, and slowly wade farther out until the water reaches my chest. I float and expect searing pain, but nothing happens. I extend out and move around waiting for something to happen, but i'm met with no pain. A smile stretches across my face as I play joyfully like the day before.  After exhausting myself I looked to the beach.  A  had crowd gathered near the beachline. After running to the shore, I push my way through the other kids and see something lying on the ground. A dead jellyfish.

It was a personal experience that I wanted to put on paper.