A Splitting Story | Teen Ink

A Splitting Story

By Ryan Betts BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Ryan Betts BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

On a beautiful day in the summer, I had a horrible incident that I would never forget.  It happened back when I wasn’t very big, and I attended first grade.  My family and I had decided to go to my grandparents’ house.  My grandparents’ house is the biggest house of the street and took two house spaces instead of one, so it wasn’t hard to find. When we arrived, they suggested that they would take us canoeing.  My parents were fine with that, and we started to get our possessions ready. 

My sister and I didn’t have much to prepare and get around, so we decided to ride our bikes back and forth from their house to the end of the street.  After a couple times around, my sister decided to go back, and I kept riding alone.  When I rode my bike, I went for these big cracks and bumps in the sidewalk.  Since there was a crack or bump every other two feet, I attempted wheelies when I rode back.  One time when I rode back, one of the wheelies didn’t go as planned.  This specific bump in the ground was two inches higher than the rest of the sidewalk. I thought to myself, “I’m going to hit this bump and do a wheelie.”  While riding towards the crack, I started to realize it was higher than I thought it was, but I was still going to attempt it anyway.  As I hit the crack, my bike wheel turned sideways and stopped, and before I knew it, I soared through the air.  I didn’t realize it for a couple minutes, but after falling over I  landed on my chin and caused it to slice open.  The blood was oozing out of my chin like a waterfall after a storm.  Instead of running and getting help, I lifted my bike and started my journey back to the house.  Luckily, I hurt myself in front of the neighbor’s house, so it wasn’t far.

As I whimpered back, I held my chin, not knowing the amount of damage that was there.  As I finally arrived, I sat my bike down and went inside where I was greeted by my grandmother’s panic as she saw the injury I had from the bike incident. 

She instantly rushed me into the bathroom and put multiple tissues on my chin telling me, “This will slow the flow of the blood.” 

My grandfather finally taped a small, thick piece of cloth to stop the blood from dripping down my chin and on the floor stating, “This should stop the blood for now.” 

After all of that, they called my parents, and they came a picked me up to take me to the hospital. 

When I arrived, they immediately took me to the emergency room.  They talked to me and asked me, “How did you get that injury?” 

They had to get an X-ray to make sure I didn’t break any bones.  After all of the questions and examining, I was told to lie down as three different people came into ready to work on my chin.  They explained to me how they were going to poke holes through my skin to hold the thin wire to bring the skin together.  Since I had already had so much pain in my chin, everything they did wasn’t very painful.  After all of this was done, they put medical cloth tape over my chin.  My parents took me back to my grandparents, and they decided they weren’t going canoeing anymore, and I was sad.  I really wanted to go canoeing that day.

It's A True Story