My New LIfe | Teen Ink

My New LIfe

Have you ever in your life experienced something so frightening that it changed your life?  It was around December. It was a dark night that it felt like it could consume you. I heard a huge knock on the door. “Knock...knock...knock.” I heard a huge bang on the door. I woke up startled by the noise. When I got out of my bed, my dad was already by the door. When he opened the door,  it was the social worker and the cops. They were both standing outside waiting for me and my dad. Once they came in, my dad filled in papers and released us out of the house. I remember feeling nervous and afraid.  I didn’t know what to expect or where I would go. I was feeling confused and was unclear about where I was going to live. I was driven to a place where I would temporarily live. My sister and I among other kids were living together.

All the kids living at the home were all older than us. They were teenagers. I was afraid to live there because everyone was a stranger to me. When I first arrived there, I felt intimidated by the older kids. I thought they wouldn't be friendly until I met this older girl who was eighteen. She was nice when we first arrived. I was surprised by how nice they all were. When we first arrived, they greeted us with a warm welcome. She was one of the first girls that greeted us. She made me feel more comfortable. At first I felt strange then I started feeling comfortable. Days passed and I was anxious to get back to my family. When it was finalized for me to get back with my mom I got excited.

It was in the summer time in July when I moved. I remember feeling very nervous and afraid. I didn’t know what to expect going to a new different school. All my worries started to overflow I thought I wouldn’t be able to fit in. My self conscience was taking over me like a puppet being controlled.  I began crying remembering all the memories I had with my friends from my previous school. I couldn’t help it tears started flowing down my cheeks remembering everything I thing I did with my friends. I felt the hot moist air touch my skin as sweat started dripping from my face. It was hot when I arrived at the apartment. As I was helping my mom unpack boxes, I heard her yell “hey, I had to get used to living in a new environment and city. As the year came by, it was when it hit me, and I realized the school year was about to begin.

I had to prepare to go to school. It was nerve wracking just to think about going to school. My mom had prepared my uniform and my school materials ready to go to school. In the morning, I got ready and was prepared to leave.

I started crying because was too afraid to go and meet new people. When I arrived at the front office I was lost. I didn't know which classroom to go to because I didn't know where each class was.

Luckily, the staff at the office helped me get to my class. I remember walking in the door it felt like everyone was staring at me. I felt intimidated by everyone I found the seat that is the nearest and is empty. After I found my seat, I asked the girl for a pencil. It was at that moment that I sighed in relief and realized that I'm not afraid anymore. I later began to talk to more people and realized it wasn't so bad afterall.