The Substitute | Teen Ink

The Substitute

By Rana. BRONZE, Menlo Park, California
Rana. BRONZE, Menlo Park, California

It was a cold morning at school. It was 9:50am and it was time for P.E. We were all playing a game of chair basketball, an indoor game where you sit on a chair and throw a ball into a trash can. When we walked into the room there was a substitute teacher for the substitute P.E. teacher. That was pretty confusing because I never knew substitute teachers could have another substitute take care of the class for them. The substitute teacher said, ¨Alright class, do you guys know what to do?¨ The whole class responded with a yes. About 30 minutes into the game the whole class lost control like monkeys fighting over a banana.

People screaming and throwing the balls with all their strength trying to hit people in the face. The substitute was watching it all just laughing and playing with the class. The substitute never stopped the game that was becoming dangerous for the students because most people were getting hurt by getting hit with objects thrown at them. People were getting hit with dodgeballs, a tennis ball, and a lip balm.

This went on until another adult came in the room and told the substitute teacher to call the office to tell someone to stop the game. The substitute used his fake scared and shocked voice calling the principal. He called the principal saying, “You need to come and help me. These kids are out of control!” The principal came in the room and you could see the anger in her eyes. She yelled, “Everyone sit down!” Everyone found a seat and sat down.

“So, the substitute called me saying that this class was getting out of control. Am I correct?” She said with a very angry voice.

“Yes,” the classroom responded all at once.

“And why is it that all the boys are on one side and all the girls are on the other?” She said raising her voice getting even more angry.

The class stayed quiet and she began to say, “The substitute told me that this class was losing control.” It seemed like every word she was saying was getting her angier and angier. “I have never had a sub call me with such a scared and panicked voice.” She took a long pause and looked around the classroom. The substitute said, “They all lost control. They were throwing everything. Everything!” What the substitute said made her even more mad. The substitute continued saying, “They grabbed everything and threw it at each other.” A student said loudly, “I got hit with a lip balm on my back.” You could see she got even angrier like she was going to kill someone. She asked everyone to name the items that people threw. People started saying dodgeballs, a mini football, a tennis ball, and a lip balm. The substitute said we threw a plastic lid and everyone turned around with a confused face looking at him knowing that he was lying. The principal made us stand up and make a line at the end of the classroom.

She asked us, “Who in this room threw a lip balm at danny?” The whole class stayed quiet just looking at each other. She tried to blackmail us by saying she was going to take away our end of the year field trip and she was going to take away our graduation ceremony. Everyone was looking at each other hoping that someone would take the blame.

She took us to the cafeteria and told us to sit down. She asked us again, “who threw the lip balm, the mini football, and the tennis ball?” A few kids decided to take the blame but we knew that they weren’t the ones. She asked the  class if what we did was fun. The class responded with a no but some kids said yes. That made her angry. She sent us all back to class.

At 12:15pm, It was time for lunch. But we didn’t eat our food in the cafeteria, we ate it in a classroom where she made us write what we saw was happening. A few days later she brought us back in again. This time she told us what she read from what we wrote to her. The room was silent and all you could hear was the kids outside in recess playing. She said a couple of names that people wrote down. Everyone looked at each other when she said the names. No one said a word during this whole thing. All we could do was look at her or each other. That was the last time she ever spoke to us about it. The whole grade knew that we were kicked out of the graduation ceremony. Now we don’t know if we can earn everything back.