New Foods | Teen Ink

New Foods

My mom exclaimed,’’ Hijo, hijo ven a comer.”

This one day at my beautiful casa or my house when I was in 5th or 4th grade, also I was 9 or 10 years old and it was the year 2013/2014.  I was in the kitchen and I was smelling the smell of caldo de pollo and I smelled the vegetables, the carrots, potatoes, the chicken that is the food that I got from my mom.  It was just me and my mom during this event we were alone waiting for my dad to come from  work when I got hungry and asked her for food and she gave me that.  I didn’t like it because it was...caldo de pollo!! Also, the caldo de pollo looked yellowish and had some meat and vegetable. The caldo smelled weird because the vegetables were giving it a weird smell.  The reason why I didn't like it was because I don't like to eat meat that much, the reason I don’t like meat was because it has a weird taste and weird texture.

She said,’’you have to eat it or else you don’t get your chips’’
I said,’’It tastes nasty I don’t want to eat it’’
She said,’’okay then no chips’’
I said,’’fine then I’ll eat it’’

The only way she got me to eat was by blackmailing me by saying I was not going to get my chips if I didn’t eat the caldo. I felt angry that I had to eat something that I didn’t want to eat, so as a result then I raised my voice and stated,’’ I don’t want to eat it because it looks bad.’’ So then I was forced to eat the caldo de pollo. My faced changed, my eyes became a little wider as well as my mouth it became a little wider as well, that it tasted pretty good, since I was expecting it to taste really bad, I felt as if I had won the lottery . So then I ate it really fast because it tasted good. This experience taught me that I have to get out of my comfort zone so that I can try new things. Also, I recommend people to try more Mexican food and other good food. Also, at this moment in my life, I new that I should eat more mexican food. I have used this lesson in my life for example I didn’t like carne asada, but then when I tried some it tasted pretty good and I started to like it as if I were eating ice cream. I have gotten more out of my comfort zone to try new foods, and such and the new experiences were pretty good.

One thing that inspired me to write this down was my love for food and how sometimes you have to get out of you comfort zone to be willing to try new foods.