What is Modesty? | Teen Ink

What is Modesty?

By reeder ward BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
reeder ward BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

Which is better: a puddle, or an ocean? Let’s talk about that.

At my high school, immodesty was widespread, as was breaking the dress code. More and more, the girls in the “popular” crowd increasingly reduced the amount of clothing they wore, resulting in a proportional increase in attention from the guys. Sadly, I began to notice how sex appeal was determining the value of a female, instead of character, and that most relationships resembled a “puddle”, in that they were shallowly based on appearances. As a Christian, I felt that relationships should be more than a shallow “puddle” based solely on appearances, so I decided to try to communicate it in a diplomatic way to my peers.

After having spent several weeks drafting a letter for my school newspaper’s editor, I sent it and waited nervously. Upon hearing that it was going to be published, I felt excited but at the same time even more anxious. I still remember the conflicting thoughts I had about my actions; I knew it was for a good cause, but even that didn’t keep me from worrying that someone may take offense or misinterpret my thoughts expressed. A few weeks later, it was published, and I experienced many unexpected results. During my homeroom class--where the newly published newspapers were distributed--the head of my school’s journalism department made a point to come try to recruit me in front of the class, announcing that, “The school needs great writers like you!” Shortly thereafter, I received many more wonderful responses and my letter to the editor quickly became the talk of the school. In class for days on end, friends of mine told me how everyone was discussing modesty and what it means to them. Of course, there were a few negative responses, but I know that would not stop me from taking a similar course of action if faced with the same dilemma.

In the long run, my letter was predominantly a success, especially because one of the “popular” girls who promoted the immodest style of dress decided to come to me herself to thank me for writing the letter. This alone shows how, though having a “puddle” of a relationship based solely only on appearances may be popular, the value of a deep, ocean-like relationship is widely recognized.

Which is better--an ocean, or a puddle?

Victrix BRONZE said...
Victrix BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

n the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete
Drawn only to be washed away
For the time that I've been given
I am what I am
I'd rather hate you for everything you are
Than ever love you for something you are not
I'd rather you hate me for everything I am
Than have you love me for something that I can't

This is an amazing story! I would love to read the original article, if you have the ability to post it! I love how you discuss modesty from the perspective of the 'puddle' of a relationship!