A Day I'll Never Forget | Teen Ink

A Day I'll Never Forget

By PhotoGirl29 BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
PhotoGirl29 BRONZE, Culpeper, Virginia
3 articles 1 photo 1 comment

I woke up early one morning so I wouldn’t be late to school, but I couldn’t shake the feeling off my mind that something didn’t feel right. I still continued my morning routine as I got in my car and headed to school. As I pulled into the school parking lot, I noticed I was one of the first vehicles there. I began to wonder, I didn’t think I came to school too early. I walked inside to notice the halls were empty and everything was quiet. I went into the cafeteria not just to look for other people, but to get breakfast. When I walked in it was just as I suspected, empty.

Then I heard murmurs coming from the kitchen, then I noticed the smell of cafeteria pancakes. Finally there were people, though it was only the cafeteria staff. I got in line to receive breakfast and as I approached them they seemed amused. “I didn’t think you would show up today”, said one of the ladies in the staff. I couldn’t help but smile, “Where else would I be?”. Before she could answer back, I picked one of the empty seats. As I sat there eating I felt like an idiot, because the bell was about to ring and I was the only student in school. I got up to throw my trash away and head to class, when I heard one of the cafeteria ladies say “Happy Ditch Day!”. I froze in place and began to realize that it was our school’s Annual Ditch Day. Now I know I was stupid because not only did I look like a fool, but I could have stayed in bed. Then I realized, I am already here so I might as well finish the rest of my day as the only student who showed up to school. I started to laugh, this was going to be a interesting day.