What does it mean to be a family | Teen Ink

What does it mean to be a family

March 6, 2017
By Anonymous

When you hear the word “family” what do you think of? Long camping trips? Backyard BBQ? It was always at the end of June when my family and I went camping at East Lake in Hopkins. The smell of smoke and the heat from the fires that we sat around at night always made our camping trips that much more special. From the scary stories that my mom would tell my sisters and I to the funny stories that we couldn’t stop laughing about. My family has come to teach me everything I know, they have built me into who I am today. When I think about my family I think about all the things that they have done for me and the things that we have overcame over the past few years. I know for a fact that these people will always be by my side through all the tough times when I need them the most.

My family is very close to each other even though we may not get along all the time. My parents who are the hardest working and strongest people I know have taken care of me and have given me everything since I was born.
My dad and I have a very close relationship. He has taught me a lot whether it is how to cut and stack wood or simply putting gas into my car. He is always there when I need him and helps me when I need help. We may not see eye to eye with each other all the time and may get into a lot of arguments about stupid things but my dad means a lot to me. Some of the greatest memories I have with him is when he takes me out to breakfast. I remember the time my dad took me to a little restaurant in Hastings called Ricky’s. I got an egg, sausage, and bacon breakfast burrito and my dad got 2 eggs over easy and bacon. It is always nice to catch up with my dad since he is usually gone for work. When I needed to have surgery for a second time on my ACL and meniscus, my dad sat down with me and talked to me for about a hour or so and had told me that everything was going to be okay. Once I had my surgery my dad was at my side taking care of me when he didn’t have to work. I went through a lot more pain with this surgery than I did the first time around. He would always come up and ask if I needed more water or if I just needed my pillow fluffed. My dad means so much to me and I am thankful for him everyday.
My mom and I also have a very close relationship. When my mom was younger and growing up she would always tell me that I looked just like her. The curly hair and hazel eyes. My mom has gone through a lot in her life from working on the farm to having to raise 3 girls. I always go to my mom when I need help with something whether it is drama that is going on in school or just someone to talk to. She has taught me many things as well in my life. She has taught me how to cook and how to do laundry. One of my great memories with my mom was when we made cookies. She had showed me how to measure ingredients and to get down at eye level to make sure it was the perfect measurement. After I had put all the ingredients in the bowl she let me mix them with the mixer. I turned the mixer on high and flour went everywhere, all over the kitchen counter, floor, and all over myself. My mom was upset at first but then we just laughed about it for 10 minutes. My mom is my rock and I am so grateful for her and everything she does for me.
I also have two older twin sisters that I look up to. My one sister Haley goes to cosmetology school. Her and I are a lot alike in many different ways. We even look alike. Long, blonde curly hair and hazel eyes. My other sister Hana is somewhat like me although we do have our differences. She, unlike Haley has brown hair and blue eyes. With them being my older sisters they are my personal role models. I have watched them go through a lot throughout the years between their rough patches in their life to some of the greatest patches in their lives. Being the youngest sibling I have learned a lot from their mistakes and that makes me be a stronger and better person who I am today. Some of my greatest memories with my sisters are when we take a trip over to my grandma’s house for a week. The car ride over is the best part. From jamming out to the Dixie Chicks’ “Travelin’ Soldier” to just talking about life and catching up. Another great memory that I have with my sisters is when we would ride bikes together around the block. Listening to the birds and feeling the fresh air blow through our hair made it that much better. My sisters are my role models and I am so extremely blessed to me their younger sister.
My family means a lot to me and they have taught me many things that I need to know throughout my life. From all the great memories that we have made with each other to learning how to cut wood and make cookies. I know that these 4 people will always be by my side through all the tough times when I need them the most. So, what do you think of when your hear the word family?


The author's comments:

My family inspired me to write this piece because I love my family and they have done so many things for me.