Nigeria and the Jihadists of Boko Haram | Teen Ink

Nigeria and the Jihadists of Boko Haram

The Nigerian and Boko Haram fighting caused the Nigerian citizens to fall into a great pool of depression, hunger, and grief. Nearly two million citizens were moved from their homes to northeastern Nigeria. Refugees were moved to camps in order to avoid the violence. However, on January 17, 2017, the Nigerian military accidently bombed one of the camps. The mistake bomb and feuding of the Nigerians and jihadists of Boko Haram resulted in over five million people in hunger. During this tough time, over seventy-six people were killed and over one hundred citizens were injured.

Nigeria believes Boko Haram is a threat to their country and perform terrorist attacks.  Feltman from UPI says, “‘Boko Haram is attempting to spread its influence and commit terrorist acts beyond Nigeria, and remains a serious threat, with several thousand fighters at its disposal. It is, however, plagued by financial difficulties and internal power struggle, and has split in two factions”’. Boko Haram not only intends to kill the Nigerian citizens, but targets towards school children. Some of their actions include attacking school boys and kidnapping girls and women. Through the years, since about 2009, the attacks performed by Boko Haram have been more deadly and harmful.

Nigeria has constantly been trying to fight back at the attacks from the Boko Haram military. Though they continually fight against Boko Haram, they face many difficulties. Their army is not very strong and they do not have many weapons. One reason for this is the United States of America has refused to sell arms to Nigeria for the past three years. Additionally, moving their citizens and protecting them has also been a difficult task. Not many camps are available and Nigeria is saddened by the mistake bomb on one of their camps.

Boko Haram is seen as a terrorist group to the Nigerians. They perform acts similar to Isis and the Nigerians are hoping for a soon ending. They have not given up on the fight and stay strong through the process. Some hopes have risen from their recent election. Muhammadu Buhari was recently elected in the 2015 election. He hopes to finally call an end to the fight. Since his election, some areas has been cleared from the jihadists of Boko Haram. Overall, Nigeria sees no time to give up and will fight until they win their freedom.