Opening My Eyes | Teen Ink

Opening My Eyes

By lovingabby BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida
lovingabby BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida

In the past couple of months I have experienced so much dedication, determination, and love. I never knew before the connection that can be felt between ones who share the same passion. I am very involved in my schools Drama program, and right now we are in the works of producing Disney’s The Little Mermaid. The experience of this play has opened my eyes and heart to so many different things. I know for myself personally I have learned self-expectance, having to tell myself its okay that I’m not as good as this person or that person. I have also discovered the power of communication and team work. Without the help of every crew member and dedication of every actor, a phenomenal play would not have been produced. This experience has brought me closer to so many people that I have never been able to know in such a “family-like” way. Tonight was opening night, and theres only three left. I stare at the stage with everyone on it, tears streaming down my face. Never in a million years would I imagine that I would get so attached with a group of people and a work of art to the point that I would cry over it. I know for a fact that in 15 years looking back at this time in my life I will feel nothing but joy. Joy that brings me back to the place I love. The place I spent every single day for 2 months to help create a piece of art.  A piece of art that meant something to me. A piece of art that brought people together, that taught us to love.

Not only was the producing of the play exciting, but the amazing feed back we received. Defiantly one of the most rewarding things about creating art is the love and stories of the life changing experiences. My director always says to create and put on a life changing show that will make the audience change themselves. I hope and wish that tonights performance and the three we have left brings someone to a realization about how amazing life is. I hope they recognize the work, time, and effort put into this performance.  I wish for them to look back in 15 years and remember the place that we took them, and it will lift them up.

I stress and fret about so many things, this play being one of them. After this moment in my life, I will remember the craziness and lack of sleep is all for a reason. I will remember that nothing happen without hard work, determination, and an open heart.