Rights of Same-Sex Couples | Teen Ink

Rights of Same-Sex Couples

Every person deserves equal rights and treatment despite their race, religion, or sexuality. Not only are couples in same sex marriage and members of the lgbtq community frequently persecuted for their sexual orientation, beliefs, and lifestyle, but they are denied their basic rights.  In America, the rights of people to have a same-sex marriage is well deserved.  Something as influential on the daily lives of people as love and  marriage should not be regulated by governmental controls. Civil liberties give people a sense of individuality and originality that they can be proud of, whereas without these rights, the world would be merely focused on collectivism.  In the novella Anthem, nobody was allowed to be different or unique. The society's main focus for everyone to be equal to each other created an extremely troubled society because everyone was forced to be the same thereby creating a lack of individuality and diversity. Without individuality and diversity, people can not follow the natural means of competition and admiration. In order to avoid a similar outcome of rebellion, the rights of couples in same-sex marriage must be supported. Many Americans believe that the Constitution’s promise of equal protection guarantees the right of same-sex couples to marry. However, numerous other people are not in support of gay rights and  marriage because they believe this goes against social norms,  worldly traditions or religious beliefs. Our society is constantly trying to adopt and embrace new cultural ideals, so this issue should be no exception. Same-sex marriage or any for that matter is a basic right that gives people  freedom and originality, enabling them to decide who they love the most in this world. Without question, selecting one’s partner in life is a personal and individual basic human right.

Same-sex marriages are now more widely accepted throughout the country since it has been legalized. In 2015, gay marriage was made legal in all 50 states in America by the Supreme Court. “The U.S. is now the 21st country to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide, including territories. Married same-sex couples will now enjoy the same legal rights and benefits as married heterosexual couples nationwide and will be recognized as spouses on official documents such as birth and death certificates.” (de Vogue and Diamond). The bill that was passed by the Supreme Court gives couples in same-sex relationships the equal rights and opportunities as everyone else which is a major step that our country took in order to support gay marriage. Marches and pride parades have occurred in favor of same-sex marriage, showcasing how our country has come together to support such an important personal human right. Society has become more progressive as newer generations replace their predecessor’s antiquated ideas. According to Reuter’s Ronnie Cohen, “gay pride celebrations were held in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Minneapolis as well as several other cities. People were energized by the top court's rulings that extend federal benefits to married homosexual couples thereby striking down a ban on same-sex marriages in California.” Individual rights are the foundation of our society.

Despite gay marriage being legalized in America, many people are still opposed to this lifestyle. In fact, there is concern that “Though President-elect Trump hasn’t explicitly outlined any plans on the issue, he has previously told CNN’s Jake Tapper that he was “just for traditional marriage” and that he disagreed with the court’s decision. He has also previously indicated that the issue of same-sex marriage should be left to the states and told Fox News’ Chris Wallace that he would “strongly consider” appointing judges who would overrule the decision on same-sex marriage.” (Anwar). Members of society continue to discriminate and impose their beliefs on other members of society which prevents them from their civil liberties. This is especially present because influential people in society such as, Donald Trump, encourage discrimination. People chose not to support same-sex marriage for many reasons. In fact there were cases where gay couples were denied a marriage license, even after it was made legalized throughout the United States. Some people believe that if there is a child involved in the marriage, that child will always be deprived of either a mother or father. Additionally, some people’s religious philosophies dictate that marriage can only be between a man and a women. Therefore, They do not philosophically accept same-sex marriage. In fact, “The survey of LGBT adults found that many in that community saw major religious institutions as unfriendly toward them. About three-in-ten (29%) said they had been made to feel unwelcome at a place of worship or religious organization at some point in their lives.” (Drake). Still others are simply xenophobic meaning that they are afraid of strangers which includes anyone who is different or unusual and sadly, gays are considered to be the “unusual” ones in our society.

The beliefs of people who do not support same-sex marriage strongly relate to Anthem. The fear of individuality in Anthem's society overrides the need for distinction among people: “We are one in all and all in one. There are no men but only the great WE, One, indivisible and forever.” (Rand, 19). The society in Anthem believes in collectivism and equality among all people. In fact, the unspeakable word is “I” in Anthem, showcasing how that society resents any kind of individuality. The ban of the word “I” may not seem like a big deal, but it completely steals a person’s identity. Not being able to say the simplest word like “I” is the direct equivalent of taking away someone’s name or sexual identity.  They also believe that all people must be equal, and nobody can be superior to anyone else. People who are against gay marriage are represented by this society because they are against any alternative way of living that idealizes individuality.  In Anthem, People are punished for showcasing any kind of superiority, like Equality 7-2521, for example: “This was the only thing which moved, for the lips of the oldest did not move as they said: "Street Sweeper." (Rand, 26). The Council of Vocations punishes Equality 7-2521 for being different, which in his case means being greatly more intelligent than most others. Rather than being made a Scholar or scientist, he is forced to become a Street Sweeper. The ironic thing about this is that Equality could serve his society much more efficiently as a Scholar, but because of his great intelligence, the Council’s philosophy is very threatened considering that they are so concerned with eliminating any sign of distinction.
Your community, age,  and the way you were raised greatly affects your beliefs and opinions. Older generations have not always been exposed to same-sex marriage as have younger generations. Alternative lifestyles were not very common or acceptable in society many years ago, so older generations have less knowledge and experience with same-sex marriage. They may even have denied the truth to themselves about their own preferences in order to conform to social norms and society’s expectations. Where you live may also greatly effect how you think. For example, New York is a much more liberal community than the Midwest or Texas. A person from New York may be more supportive of gay marriage than people from middle America or Texans. These factors are  major reasons for the differing opinions on same-sex marriage and  people are undereducated on the topic as well.  Despite the various beliefs on why same-sex marriage should not be supported, the rights or beliefs of one should not infringe upon or supercede the rights of another. Societal change is facilitated when it’s members are encouraged to be themselves, and support others as well. Throughout history, people have always held different religious beliefs including Atheists. One philosophy can not be considered to be more right or wrong than any other. During this period in time, when divorce rates are high, it should be admired when any couple can maintain an enduring relationship. Many same-sex couples have been together for many years, so why should they not have that relationship officially recognized if they so wish? According to Ryan Brenizer, “Sexuality is not something you choose, nor is it something that anyone should be made to feel ashamed of… As I have said, I believe strongly in equality and tolerance, and every step that is taken to promote that is, in my view, a step towards making us a better society.” Despite the differing opinions on gay marriage, it is important that people are tolerant and supportive towards others, in order to remain a peaceful and genuine society. 

Every person deserves equal rights and treatment despite their race, religion, or sexuality, and couples in same sex marriage and members of the lgbtq community are frequently persecuted for their sexual orientation, beliefs, and lifestyle.  Civil liberties give people a sense of individuality and originality that they can be proud of, whereas without these rights, the world would be merely focused on collectivism and not individuality. Our society is constantly trying to adopt and embrace new cultural ideals, so this issue should be no exception. All people in our society need to be better educated about this topic. Religion, age and the socioeconomic status of a person  greatly affects their beliefs on gay marriage. Same-sex marriage or any marriage for that matter is a basic right that allows people a sense of freedom and promotes originality, thereby enabling them to be happy and decide who they will love the most in this world. Without question, selecting one’s partner in life is a personal and individual basic human right regardless of whether others agree with you or not.

Bibliography
De Vogue, Ariane, and Jeremy Diamond. "Supreme Court Rules States Must Allow Same-sex Marriage." CNN. Cable News Network, 27 June 2015. Web. 28 Feb. 2017.

Cohen, Ronnie. "Gay Pride Parades Draw Huge Crowds after Marriage Rulings." Reuters. Thomson Reuters, 30 June 2013. Web. 28 Feb. 2017.

Drake, Bruce. "How LGBT Adults See Society and How the Public Sees Them." Pew Research Center. Pew Research Center, 25 June 2013. Web. 28 Feb. 2017.

Anwar, Mehak. "Can Donald Trump Overturn Marriage Equality?" The Daily Dot. N.p., 11 Nov. 2016. Web. 28 Feb. 2017.

Rand, Ayn. Anthem. New York: Signet Printing, 1961. Print.