The Surprise Gift | Teen Ink

The Surprise Gift

February 23, 2017
By Tokuley SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Tokuley SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a clear day at the end of November and was about thirty degrees out. It was almost winter, so therefore I was over at my grandparents’ house helping my grandpa cut wood since they rely on wood for heat. The ground was frozen, so I was back in the woods, dragging up logs. I was out there till about 11 in the morning and decided it was time to take a break.


After my break I went back out there and dragged up some more logs. I came up to the house to split the wood and throw some in the basement. I had all of that done in about an hour, so it was twelve and time for lunch. I went inside to eat lunch with my grandparents.


When I walked in, my grandma was making mashed potatoes and noodles. Man does that look good, I thought. I had a bowl of it and sat down across from my grandpa. My grandpa and I were talking for a while about different topics and we were talking about four-wheelers for some reason. I told him, “It sure would be cool to have one.”
My grandpa said, “Yes, it would be nice and more convenient to have one.” I agreed with him.
A couple of days went by, and it was December. I was hoping my grandpa would remember about the four-wheeler, but I didn’t get my hopes up. I went over to my grandparents’ house again after school one day to cut wood again. When I had that done, my grandpa and I talked again for a while and four-wheelers came up again! I was getting excited about this because I thought to myself that it might actually happen. I was very happy, and I even told my parents about it.


Christmas day came and I honestly kind had forgotten about the four-wheeler. My family and I always go over to my grandparents’ house on Christmas for a meal and social time. We were about to leave when my grandpa stood up and said “Trevor, follow me.”


I was thinking, what the heck is this about. My grandpa took me out to the barn. It was dark and I couldn’t see anything. He turned on the lights, and there it sat. A brand new four-wheeler was sitting there. It was as shiny as a diamond, had the power of an ox, and was sleek as a knife. I was speechless and didn’t know what to say. I was in shock and didn’t see it coming at all. My grandpa said, “Get on it, take her for a ride.”


I gladly said, “Yes sir sounds like fun”. I jumped on it and rode it for almost the rest of the day. I was so happy and thankful.