Dumbfounded Catastrophe | Teen Ink

Dumbfounded Catastrophe

February 22, 2017
By Anonymous

My music was blaring as I tried to get through the next two hours. I could only lean forward; my head supported by my hands as my arms rested on the fold out tray. The humming and growling of the plane started to interfere with my music; every time this war began I would turn up the volume. I looked up, searching for the refreshments cart. I used the cart as a clock; the cart passes you first on the way to the front of the plane, it comes back in about 15 to 20 minutes. Sip your drink slowly and you will burned up about 25 minutes of flight time. I laid my head down and waited.


Two rows away. I slowly watched for the point of time where I had to take my earbuds out. My row.
“Drink?”
“Yes.”
“What would you like?”
“ Fresca in a can please.”
“All right.” Her voice was melodic.


She handed me my beverage. I set it on the tray, watching little water drops race down the side of the can. My drink sizzled when I opened it. The pearls popped against my skin as I took my first sip. I was a quarter of the way done with my drink when the middle-aged man with the window seat asked to use the bathroom. The lady on the other side of me and I began to gather our things, rushing, so we wouldn’t make the man wait. I grabbed my Fresca along with my phone. With my free hand I bent over and picked up my hoodie that had fallen from my seat. As I bent down I could see liquid spilling all over my light blue jeans. Dazed, took me a second to realize I needed to stand up. When I finally stood up my face was flushed red as I wondered how I could have spilled my own drink all over my pants, making it look like I had peed myself.


“Oh my, I'm so sorry, sit in my seat till I come back.” I could hear the sincerity in his voice.


“Excuse me, can we get some napkins?” The lady in my row asked. The flight attendant looked over at the pool in my seat. I didn't want her to get any ideas so I quietly said, “I spilled my drink.”


The attendant came back with napkins.  The lady in my row helped me clean the seat.


All I'm thinking is how I'm going to get my pants dry. My first thought was to get new pants from my overhead bag, but that was a couple rows up and I didn't want to draw attention to myself. Then I realized that before I left to the airport I put a pair of H&M shorts in my carry-on. Frantically, I got them out of my bag and hugged them.. I needed something else to hide my spill while I walked to the bathroom. I tied my hoodie around my waist, covering the front. When the man returned we let him in and then it was my turn to go. I walked fast hoping no one  looked my way. On my way, I spotted my mom in her seat reading a book. I finally made it into the bathroom, first thing shut the toilet lid. I didn't want anything falling in. Next I took off my pants and put on my “sweat shorts”. I folded up my jeans as small as possible while I was doing this I noticed that my inner thighs were a bit sticky, so I grabbed a bunch of tissues and washed down my legs. Then I dried them off, all was good to go like nothing had happened. I grabbed my stuff and walked back to my seat. When I sat down and got buckled in, the man next to me apologized again.


“I'm so sorry about this, truly.”


“It's no problem really, you're fine. This will just be another great story to tell my friends,” We laughed together,all was good.


Finally landed, we all stood up and crouched because the low cabin. On my way out, The lady a row in front of me handed a folded up piece of paper.


“This is for you.”


“Okay, thank you,” I replied confused, but confident. I took the paper and put it in my phone case. I got off the plane before my mom and I waited with my sister. Once my mom met us, we walked to the car I sat in the back and pulled out the piece of paper. She wrote me a letter complimenting me on how I handled the situation. She didn't see it, but she heard what had happened and what was said. That was the day I realized that the way you handle any situation will show your true character.


The author's comments:

It was a funny thing that happend and I love telling the story. It allso has a great lesson in the story.