The Glory of Christ | Teen Ink

The Glory of Christ

Christ’s glory is very important to getting a better understanding of Him, and Him being fully man, fully God, and being perfect in both aspects. First off, I would like to define glory because I will be using this term a lot and I want you to know what I mean when I say “glory”. My definition of glory is magnificence, in every aspect, loveliness, and greatness. The dictionary definition of glory is 1. high renown or honor won by notable achievements. 2. magnificence or great beauty. I think these both describe Christ perfectly. The four topics I will be covering are Glory in His Birth and Childhood, Glory in His Life and Death, Glory in His Resurrection, and Glory in His Return.

Glory in His Birth and Childhood

Not many people focus on Christ’s glory before His birth, but I think it is quite important to understand not only Christ but the Trinity as well. In Genesis 1:26 God says “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness…” This gives us the clue that there is at least one person, if not two people with God. One of them is Jesus. Since he was and is with God, that alone makes Him glorious. Also, in John 1 Christ’s glory is greatly described the Apostle John. John 1:1-18 reads “1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him, nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” This shows that Christ was very glorious, even before He was born on earth. His birth. Luke 2 gives us the best description of Christ’s birth, it describes angels rejoicing, wise men traveling from very far away, and Mary and Joseph going into a humble stable for the King of Kings to be born. Jesus being born, on the surface may not seem very glorious, simply because of the grimy, disgusting stable, but the fact that Sanctus Deo (Holy God), would come down to earth and not be born in a palace, but in a stable, shows glory in Jesus’ humility. We only know one story of Jesus childhood, but it is quite glorious. Jesus is 12 years old, and He is teaching the teachers in the synagogue, basically the Padawan training the Jedi, right? This shows knowledge that only one sent from God could have. Also, the Gospel of Luke says, “Jesus grew in stature, and in favor with God and man.” That one statement demonstrates His glory because it’s not very easy to grow in favor with God or man, so Jesus must be glorious.

Glory in His Life and Death

One story that really stands out to me in Jesus’ adult ministry is Him getting baptized at the Jordan River. The account of this in the Gospels is both detailed and amazing. Matthew 3:16 records it as “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him.” This event was momentous because we see the glory of Jesus through God the Father’s glory, it is not very often that the Father shows His true, full glory. Jesus’ glory was demonstrated many times in the wilderness while He was being tempted by Satan. Satan kept trying to get Jesus to sin with a different temptation, but Jesus was steadfast in the Word and sent Satan out every time a temptation came. Matthew 4:4 states, “But Jesus told him, ‘No! The Scriptures say, 'People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'” Jesus’ glory was showcased once again in the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus demonstrates His glory not only through His wisdom but in the Beatitudes, He blesses those whom His audience thought He would have blessed. The meek, the poor, the oppressed. He essentially flips the paradox on them. One of the most obvious examples of the glory of Christ is when Jesus takes Peter, James, and John to the mountains to reveal His godly glory, He steps out of His role as the perfect man and shows that He is fully God and fully man, showing His glory in both aspects. Matthew 17:2 says, “And He was transfigured before them, and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.” Jesus’ glory was blatantly obvious in this situation. Jesus’ glory at the Last Supper was displayed in many ways, but I’m going to focus on the first communion. Jesus’ glory was shown in communion when He told them to remember His death like it was a good thing, and this is glorious because He is giving the ULTIMATE sacrifice, and it deserves to be remembered. Jesus demonstrates His glory by simply being on the cross. But, He doesn’t just go. He is tortured, given a crown of thorns, mocked, spit on, and forced to carry the murder weapon that will be used against Him up a mountain. And after all of that, He still has the audacity to bring a thief to paradise with Him and ask His Father to forgive the men that killed Him.

Glory in His Resurrection

So, after three days He was dead, Jesus comes back to life and goes to see His disciples. There is so much glory in this, it is hard to describe in words. He rose from the dead. The single greatest feat in the history of the world. Nothing could ever be more glorious than that.
Glory in the Return

Jesus’ return to earth will be probably tied for the most glorious day in human history, tied with when He rose from the dead. In Revelation, it says Jesus’ way of transport will be the clouds of glory. There is going to be bright light, no more darkness, sin will be defeated forever, not another day of mourning or grieving, not one more tear will be shed, and it’s all because of our glorious Lord and Savior, the Prince of Peace, the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, Jesus Christ.

"The Glory of Christ" was written as an essay to show just how awesome, and, well, glorious Christ is. Soli Deo Gloria.