Fighting for My Generation’s Survival Against My Own Leaders This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I’m teenage climate activist. I speak for my entire generation when I say that I will be more hurt by the effects of climate change than any of the adults in power. It’s painful to have to fight and constantly pressure the very grownups who are supposed to be protecting me, for my basic right to a future.

Because representatives in the my state’s legislature are not working to pass up to-date, science-based environmental bills, my days, which should be filled with childish activities like sports and sleepovers, are consumed with phone calls, lobbying, emails, strategy meetings, organizing, and Op-Ed writing, trying to get those legislators to make the right decision for my future.

And I can’t help but wonder:

Why do we, the citizens, have to beg and persuade our legislators to make policies we think are right? Didn’t we elect those people? Don’t they work for us? Yet they strut around the State Capitol’s meeting rooms in sharp gray suits, full of importance, barely stopping to listen to the people who put them in that very position of power.

Today, there are around 406 parts per million of carbon in the air: a dangerously high level threatening my future. Currently, there are two bills in my State’s Legislature that propose targets for future carbon levels — but they have critical differences. One bill, House Bill 1144, proposes using out-of-date science and increasing carbon levels to 450 parts per million, a level that would have coastal cities submerged under water. Another bill, House Bill 1372, proposes using current, up-to-date science and decreasing carbon levels to 350ppm, a common-sense solution that would put my state on a path to climate recovery.

But the bill that has the most support is the unscientific, “coast-submerging” bill, House Bill 1144. So we youth in the environmental organization I volunteer for decided that if our leaders weren’t going to make the right decision for our future, we would have to step up and sacrifice to make sure the elected officials did their jobs.

Through calls and emails, we pushed for the Envrionmental Committee Chair to schedule a hearing for House Bill 1372. Once the hearing was finally scheduled, we scrambled to prepare speeches so we could testify before the environmental committee and make the case to the legislature on why the representatives should vote for the bill that protects our future.

Hearing-day finally arrived, and me and a few other youth, walked into Hearing Room B in the state capital.

There were two distinct voices present in that hearing room: those asking the legislators to vote for House Bill 1372 and ensure that we kids will have a future, and those asking the legislators to vote against House Bill 1372: the corporate world. My group’s testimonies were personal. Hopeful. Heartfelt.

We children sat down at the desk in the middle of the hearing room, looked into legislators eyes, and recited our handwritten testimonies:

“Act now before it is too late.”

“Protect my future.”

“Do you have kids?”

Then came the Gray Suits. Their shady demeanor, with their lowered voices and evasive eyes, surprised me. They represented the Oil Industry and the Pulp and Mill Industry. They brought up technicalities, percentages, and lawyer jargon. “You need to protect the industry” They took IPCC reports out of context to go as far as to say carbon emissions are a non-issue.When they finished talking, they walked to their seats with their eyes lowered, not meeting the gaze of us children.

I wondered if they heard us whispering, ‘What? That’s not true!’ behind them while they testified against our best interests. I wonder if they felt even a flicker of guilt speaking against the basic rights of kids sitting right behind them.

And the legislators? Well, they looked back straight in our eyes while we spoke, and a few even smiled. Some of the representatives even hardened when the Corporate Suits testifued.

HB 1372, though it got a hearing, died a few days after we kids gave our testimony, because the Environmental Committee Chair refused to even give it a vote. The other bill, HB 1144, which aims for disaster, is far ahead in the legislative process.

I am very dissapointed in my leaders for not doing their part in  a livable future for kids, but the fight goes on.

I will keep lobbying, testifying, and doing whatever else I need to do to make sure my generation has a healthy tomorrow.

And I hope more teens will start doing the same. 

At the end of testimony day, before heading home, we kids declared we wanted to celebrate the day.

“How?” One of our adult chaperones asked.

“Let’s get pancakes!”

…Pancakes

Because after teenagers fight for our tomorrow, standing up to big-money lobbyists and pressuring our leaders to do their jobs, we just want pancakes.

Ray--yoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 22 at 10:22 am
This is very relatable, heartfelt, frustrating, and inspiring. I hope Teenink will arrange for you a bigger audience to put forth your view/experience.