Sisters, They're More Than Just Family | Teen Ink

Sisters, They're More Than Just Family

“You’re going to have a little sister!” was a phrase I got used to hearing. Four times my parents told me I was going to be a big sister and every time I felt ecstatic because we were becoming a big and lively family.

My dad always reminded me that he and my mom didn’t grow up in the United States so they didn’t know how a lot of things worked. This meant that I was their guinea pig and that it was my responsibility to expose my family to a new culture. I took initiative by becoming involved in my school, and in more rigorous academics to be an example for my sisters. Since I was the first, I had no example or idea as to how things were done; nonetheless I learned and they’ve been learning from my experiences as we’ve grown up.

My sisters and I play supporting roles for each other. They are my friends, and biggest supporters. To them I am a role model, a person to talk to, and protective big sister. Having four younger sisters taught me to lead by example, to always think about how my actions can affect others, it made us a sisterhood.

My parents gave me the gift of sisters, and my sisters made me a leader. Without my family I’d be a normal student, but thanks to them I’m anything but normal: I am a big sister with an exposure to diversity and with the support needed to accomplish anything.

I enjoy writing a lot and when I was drafting college applications and brainstorming I realized how important family is to me. I had never taken the time to think how inflluential my sisters have been in my life outside of family. After writing this my appreciation for family, specificaly them, grew immensely.