Falling Leaves | Teen Ink

Falling Leaves

By CherryJubilee PLATINUM, Fort Lee, New Jersey
CherryJubilee PLATINUM, Fort Lee, New Jersey

It was late September and the transformation from summer to fall was already obvious and beautiful. The leaves drifted off the lonely branches and landed on the hard ground. A flock of grey and white geese swooped across the cloudless, joyful skies. It was early in the morning, but already my friends and I were excited as we gathered under the big, brown tree on the front lawn of our old, cream colored school. The blocky walls of the school surrounded the lawn like a mother’s arms around her child. A leaf fell to the ground and we giggled as we ran around the tree, hoping to catch a leaf; the one we called the first leaf of fall. We danced with the leaves, desperately trying to catch one with our cold fingers. I leaped forward in the air, extended my arm as far as I could, and screamed with joy as I clutched the first falling green leaf. Just as I landed, the bell rang and we raced to our classes. A crisp breeze carried the fallen leaves and there was a whirlwind of red, yellow and orange spinning through the air. Briefly, just for a moment, the world looked like a magical place.

This piece is dedicated to all of the dreamers and young teens who search for adventure and believe in true friendship. Keep dreaming! :)