My Role Model | Teen Ink

My Role Model

February 7, 2017
By jadenkaplan SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
jadenkaplan SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

A role model is an important figure that one looks to for guidance and advice. Often times, a role model serves as a person whose actions we want to emulate. For some, that role model can be a superhero, an actor, an athlete, or another famous figure. I am lucky enough to have a role model that I know personally and am very close with. That person is my older brother, Jacob. He is 22 years old and I am 15 years old. Since we are seven and a half years apart, we are at very different stages in life. Despite our age gap, we have a lot in common and love spending time together. I hope that as I grow older, I can follow in his footsteps.


I admire every aspect of my brother from his sense of humor, to his intelligence, and most of all, his character. As an adolescent, my brother was definitely a trouble-maker. He never got in serious trouble, but often got reprimanded for acting out in school. Likewise, I get in trouble for goofing off in class, and am working to leave this bad behavior behind, just like my brother did. He grew up a lot in college, worked really hard, and now has a great job in financial consulting. His path is something I want to follow. Although I am still in the trouble-making stage, I will grow out of it one day and be successful, just like my brother.


Even though Jacob is now an adult, I have many memories of us playing as kids. One of our favorite activities was playing basketball in the basement with a Little Tikes hoop. Although we don’t play with it anymore, it still sits in my basement, damaged from the years of roughhousing. We also played tackle football all the time, and I still have scars on my forehead from banging my head on the wall after being tackled to the ground. Now, we play golf together, or basketball on a real court, now that we are taller. No matter what activities we are doing, these memories are a constant reminder that my brother will always be by my side, no matter how old we grow.  I am extremely fortunate that I have such a strong relationship with my brother and it is something I constantly cherish.


One reason that my brother serves as such a prominent role model is because we are so similar. I know that almost eight years ago, when he was my age, he probably acted the same exact way that I do. We like the same sports, enjoy the same food, and have the same sense of humor. That being said, I view myself as a younger version of Jake. His path is one that I want to follow, and I try make choices each day that will lead me down that path.


Jake has been an influential figure for all of the critical moments in my life. Anytime I have gotten into trouble at school, he has helped me figure out how to take ownership for my actions. Anytime I have gotten hurt, he has been there to assure me that everything would be okay. He has always respected me as a younger brother and guides me in the direction to reach utmost success. He gives me tips on life, how to work efficiently, how to build positive relationships, and how to get things done. I look up to him more than anybody else in the world, because he understands exactly where I am coming from, and knows the best possible way for me to succeed in everything that I do. 


Every time my brother has succeeded, I have shared that success with him. I’ve always wanted him to be successful because I’ve always wanted to be just like him. All of my brothers accomplishments have been monumental for both of us. Whether it was when he scored well on the SAT, won a high school tennis match, got into college, or got his first job, we both were equally as cheerful. I know that the same goes for me. Anytime I succeed, I know my brother is right by my side, sharing my accomplishments with me.


Even though my brother may not be anyone else’s role model, he is an extremely significant person in my life. He has shaped the person I am today and the person that I want to become. Because of our similar interests and personalities, and our parallel experiences growing up, he understands me more than anybody else on this planet. As a result, he knows just exactly what to say and when to say it. Having someone who understands exactly who you are, and exactly who you want to become, is a gift that I am thankful for each and every day. He is my role model for life.


The author's comments:

Personal Experience