The Beginning | Teen Ink

The Beginning

By morganfrank BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
morganfrank BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

I began my life on the sandy coast of Florida in a town named Fort Lauderdale. I lived in a 1 level condo right by the beach with a big pool in my backyard. My neighbors were great and I was living the life with no care in the world. 4 years and one cracked head later, my dad sat me down in the living room to tell me some big news that was going to change my life forever.

“I know this is going to come to a surprise to you, but your mother and I believe that moving to Illinois will be in your best interest.” He says with his pleading eyes.

With no thought I quickly race to the door crying and run out of the house not looking back; not knowing where I was going to go or what I was going to do when I got there.

I didn’t make it very far. Honestly I only made it about half a block and ran back. When I strolled back into the house my parents didn’t look angry like I thought they would, but scooped me up in their arms and kissed me on my forehead, while I promised I would never run away again.

It turned out I really had no say in whether or not we were moving and had to accept that. Only a couple days after the discussion a “For Sale” sign appears in my front yard just reminding me of the new life that was waiting for me in Illinois. Even though the big event was only a couple weeks away, I thought it would be only right to tell my friends what was about to happen and that I would never see them for a long, long time. I hop onto my pink toy jeep that I just got for my birthday, and drive over to my friends house across the street. I break the bad news and we end up crying in each other's arms.
“I really don’t want you to go away, I don’t know if I will ever see you again and I can’t live not knowing”. These were the last words I heard from my friends mouth.

The big day had finally come, I was going to Illinois, a place that I only thought was filled with crime and skyscrapers, little did I know this was where I was going to meet my friends that I would stay with for years.

I walk out of the airport with my dad’s hand in mine as we look for my grandma’s car to take us to what would soon be called home. As my parents spot it we hop into the car and off we were to the next location. I jump out of the car because my little 4 year old brain couldn’t wait any longer to see where we would be living for the next chapter of my life. I look the house up and down, disappointed at the final product. It was about two times smaller than my old house and with no pool in the back. Honestly, no pool anywhere in the neighborhood. At that point, I could tell I wasn’t in Florida anymore.

It changed my identity from a young girl to making me grow up faster