A Day to Remember | Teen Ink

A Day to Remember

By jtstarr99 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
jtstarr99 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

I wish I had one more chance to date this girl; then I would settle all the issues and make her as happy as I could. I’ll explain how it all started. It was a bright and luminous Friday in early August. Some of the leaves began to adjust color, and school crept closer. The songs of birds could be heard outside as I awoke with a smile that day because I realized the plans I made for that evening. I perched up in bed and walked to my dresser to get some fresh clothes for the day. “Today is going to be special,” I announced to myself as I walked across my room to grab my phone. I peeked at my screen only to find that I had received a text from someone. It was a text from this girl I had been talking to. It read, ”What time are you planning on picking me up for dinner tonight?” I replied back with 5:00.
It was my first date ever, and I paced the room nervously. I constantly checked the mirror to fix my hair. To make matters worse, I had been trying to date this girl for almost three years, and had finally been given a chance. The clock showed 4:00 when I started to get ready; however, I didn’t want to dress too nicely, but also didn’t wish to look like a bum either. I threw on a gray polo and a pair of my finest-looking blue jeans. As I sprayed on some cologne, I began to get even more nervous than before. While pacing up and down the hall frantically, my nerves were getting out of hand and I wasn’t sure if I was ready for this. I knew that if I let that happen that it would have been a waste of three years.
I calmed myself and entered my polished yellow car. Then I drove to the store, ran in, and bought a bouquet of scarlet, velvety roses. I drove to her house with my stomach feeling fuzzy from the nerves, and arrived right before 5:00. I exited my car and walked to the porch. After I knocked on the door three times, I felt stunned to see her standing there. Her thick black hair was flowing down her back, and her beautiful, soft brown eyes glistened in the light. They were fireflies in a darkroom. She didn’t appear to be dressed too fancy, but I didn’t care. I was so happy to be able to go on a date with her, and I couldn’t stop smiling. The hidden ruby, red roses  were behind my back as she began to walk out the door. I extracted the roses from behind my back and handed them to her. She stood there in shock for a second then said, ”Oh my gosh, nobody has ever gotten me flowers before.” I couldn’t believe that she had never received flowers before a date. She ran inside and handed them to her mom to put in a clear vase. Her mom seemed to be more shocked than she was about the flowers. I just stood there laughing as she went on and on, thanking me for the flowers then we left.
We sat there in the car, and the nerves were in play because we said very little until we arrived at the restaurant. We walked into Applebee’s and were seated right away. We began to chat as we waited for the waiter. We talked about each other’s likes and dislikes. I was so nervous to talk to her, and I still didn’t know how to ask her to be my girlfriend, which I planned to do later that day. I sat there thinking to myself, ‘She is so beautiful.’ I also thought, ‘Where is the food? I’m starving.’ We talked about the upcoming homecoming dance, and she said, “I don’t have a date to homecoming yet.”
I replied with, ”Me either.” As I waited for my food, I felt like a kid in class, waiting for the bell to ring. I felt I needed the food right away, or I was going to die. I sat there pondering for ideas on how to ask her to be my girlfriend; then it hit me. I then asked, ”Can I see your phone for a second?”
She replied, “Of course.” I looked in her contact list and found my name. I began typing, and by the time I finished, under my contact name it read, ”Will you be my girlfriend?” I handed her back her phone, and then I realized I had to call her. I called her, and to her surprise her phone shined with the message I had typed. To my surprise it was followed immediately with a resounding, ”Yes!” I couldn’t believe the response, so I asked her to repeat it. Again she exclaimed, “Yes, I will be your girlfriend.” We finished our meal, paid the bill, and stood up from our seats.
We began to walk out of the restaurant, and I leaned over and grabbed her hand. I opened her car door for her, and we drove home. We arrived at her house and exited the car. We walked towards the porch, and I stopped, hugged her, and watched as she walked into her house.
Walking away from the house, I turned back around and smiled. I entered my car and drove off. As I drove home, I just couldn’t stop thinking about that entire day. I imagined the way her long black hair flowed in the wind, and the way she smiled at me when I first picked her up. ‘It was a truly a day to remember,’ I said to myself as I exited my car and walked into my house.