My Friends' Experience Changed Me | Teen Ink

My Friends' Experience Changed Me

Over the summer, I spent most of my time at a softball field somewhere. Usually playing, sometimes hanging out with friends watching games. It was in this time that I met someone. From the moment I saw her, she was someone that I wanted to talk to and to become friends with. She seemed very nice and funny, plus she was very good at softball. Eventually, through social media, we did become friends. Her and I are very close, she means a lot to me and I trust her with everything.

About a month or so ago, she told me that she had two brain tumors. I didn't want to think it was real, but it was. I was crushed, she was devastated as well. Millions of question ran through my head, "How serious is it?" "Will she lives?" "Will she be the same?" and many more. Since she found out, she has been going to treatment to try and combat the tumors. The process is draining; it makes her very tired and weak. It makes me feel awful, someone I love is in pain and there is nothing I can do about it. Some days she is fine and other days she is in the hospital because she had a seizure. The doctors say nothing is changing and to give it time, but we are both scared.

I don't want anything to happen to her. I don't want to lose another amazing friend. Everyday I think and worry about her, hoping she will make it through another day okay. But, I have all the confidence in the world that she will make it through this mess alive. I know she won't give up and that she will continue to fight, no matter how hard it gets.

Update: I first wrote this journal entry November 11, 2016 and it is now January 11, 2017. A lot has changed in that time. Her and I are still very close friends. But, more importantly, she is malignant tumor free. Over Thanksgiving break, she had a risky surgery. The doctors said she wasn't getting better and that a successful surgery would be the only thing that would save her. They wanted to go inside her head and try to remove the tumors. The procedure could have ended very badly but, thank god, it didn't. They removed all of the harmful tumors from her brain. Now, she is working on gaining her strength and memory back. None of this was easy, but she pushed through and got over it. I am so unbelievably proud of her. 

Reflection: Though this did not happen to me, I have learned and changed from my friend going through this. I have learned to be more thankful for the people in my life. I have learned to cherish all of the precious moments I have. And, most importantly, I learned that with the right support and unwavering determination, you can get through anything.

This person means the world to me. Her story is inspiring and there is much more to it, this is just a brief glimpse into what she has been through.