Dumpster Diving | Teen Ink

Dumpster Diving

By alexisiswalt BRONZE, Reading, Pennsylvania
alexisiswalt BRONZE, Reading, Pennsylvania

I put on my black pants, black sweatshirt, rubber gloves and grabbed my backpack. I walked to my car, ready to take on the mission. I had to sit in the seat of the car for a few minutes to mentally prepare myself for the task ahead of me. I started the car and began driving to my destination. The suspense filled my veins. What would I find? My discoveries would be with me forever, I was ready to do this. I drove around the unpopulated shopping center, my eyes scanning for movement and life. The coast was clear, and I parked my car in front of one of the big stone building’s rears. The dumpster stood in front of me menacingly. I tiptoed toward it, even though there was no a person around, and then turned on my phones flashlight, to peer inside. Even though I mostly saw empty boxes and trash bags, a true dumpster diver, or trash connoisseur if I may, can see the gold in the gold mine. Mind you, I am diving through the trash of a franchise beauty store; so my tastes for makeup don’t just end at the bottles and palettes you can buy at the store. The store itself has been dumpster dived at by many because of its “magic box” of unopened, returns thrown away every trash day. I saw out of the corner of my eye, a large, white, sealed box in the far left corner of the dumpster. I knew what I had to do. I stepped into the dumpster and made my way toward the box. I heard a strange noise nearby. I looked to my right, and saw a small grouping of twigs, grasses, string and shredded trash bags. It was definitely a nest. Then I heard the sound again.  I tried to move and lift myself out of the dumpster, but something latched onto my leg. I looked down and into the squirrel's eyes as it gnawed at my leg. I realized I had hit a new rock bottom in my life. I was currently 17 years old, inside of a beauty stores dumpster, getting attacked by a possibly rabid squirrel, at 2:30 in the morning on a Sunday. I hit the squirrel with my phone, it  lost its grip and flew off my leg, literally flew, as in its body was in the air for 5 solid seconds, and then onto the dumpster’s bottom. I quickly grabbed the edge of the dumpster and pulled myself up to jump out. I ran to my car, and as I ran I heard the pitter patter of footsteps behind me. It was coming for me, determined to kill me for sure.  I had no idea where the squirrel was now, so I started backing out of the parking lot as I saw it jump onto my car window. I drove fast,  eventually losing the squirrel, and vowed to never dumpster dive again.

I was inspired to write this piece by a personal experience I encountered while Dumpster Diving. (Don't judge I swear its fun)