Nicknames | Teen Ink

Nicknames

By Strech SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Strech SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Nicknames, something important to the our cross country team. To us, our regular names are a history teacher with a monotone voice. All of us have one, some very creative, other simple, but all of them unique. Simple nicknames, something easy like a 2 step equation, very creative ones, something more of a complex chemical formula. My nickname is a piece of paper, plain and a shortening of my last name, Strech. Others also have a play on our last name, on play on our last name such as Dupes and Bringle.

Then there is one that sticks out, it is the moon in the night sky. Kermit, or for short, Kerm. A name so mind numbing unique that we are certain no one else could have thought of it. first started from being called a frog, then becoming Kermit. A name embraced by the recipient and a name that rolls off our tongues. Times when his name isn’t even said, his nickname replacing his real name like someone erased from our brains. Nobody else's nicknames are nearly as cool as his. His nickname being the pinnacle of our nickname creation on the cross country team. Our nickname creation on the cross country team, the legendary, Kermit.