Making Things Right | Teen Ink

Making Things Right

By BookGirl734 BRONZE, Wisner, Louisiana
BookGirl734 BRONZE, Wisner, Louisiana

I shifted uncomfortably where I stood. A million thoughts were running through my head so fast that I could barely decide what course of action to take. He was alone, sitting on the wooden bench surrounded by our school mates who ignored him like he had a disease. He was reading a book, his head cast down and his eyes trained to it. Every so often he would look up, his eyes darting to look at everybody before they dropped back to his book.

He was once my brother's friend before my brother abandoned him. My brother believed in God and Orlando didn't. He was bullied for that sole reason. I knew what it was like to be bullied. After all, the same people that bullied Orlando for his "strangeness" also bullied me for mine. I didn't believe in God either but I dared not say that fact aloud in fear of being outcaste even more. My weird habits, intelligence, and the fact that I rarely spoke caused me to be bullied.

I never spoke to him in fear of being hated even more and I regretted it. He was going through the same thing I was. He would have understood me, how I felt from all the harsh words and taunts. Instead, I had ignored him, shunned him like everybody else in fear that he would drag me down even lower in the social ladder that was in junior high. It was until even my brother left him and he was all alone did I realize that Orlando and I were one in the same. It was too late though because by then, Orlando had moved to another school. That was why I was shocked to see that he now attended high school with me although we shared no classes. I knew then when seeing him that it was my chance to make things right.

I took a deep breath and looked at my friend behind me. I saw how she was staring at Orlando strangely, clearly shocked that he was back. I turned around and said loudly, "Hey Orlando." I waved at him when he looked at me, causing him to look at me in shock and happiness. I knew then that I had did the right thing and made things right again.