A Lesson | Teen Ink

A Lesson

By Smith@awesome SILVER, Deerfeild, Ohio
Smith@awesome SILVER, Deerfeild, Ohio

"I can do all things through Christ wo Strengthens me"

Life is like a box of books. Life is a box of books because  all your life’s work and problems are what you leave behind. The books are not all the same size or shape and don't have the same covers. These are your life experiences. The good parts, the bad parts, the times when it seemed you were just going through the motions. The box is life and the books are the chapters everyone goes through. Life is like a box of books when you have lots of people and things in and out of your life, you don't always like the books you read, those are the times that life threw lemons at you and you had to make them into something. Some people fill their box, these are the people that live life to the fullest. The people who do not fill their box are the people who miss out on a lot of things. That is how life is like a box of books.

How many of you have been through a rough time recently? All of us right?! You are not alone, as you can see, just by looking at the other people in this room. Back in October, I spent 5 days in the hospital.

It started on Wednesday morning when I lost feeling in my hand and it got worse throughout the day, I lost my ability to write or draw! I could not even shake hands, give a high five or open a door without a struggle. My coordination and balance also got messed up which made soccer a challenge! I went to soccer practice anyway and did not say anything, went to a team dinner, went home and took care of chores. Then sat down to start on homework. (uhhhgg chemistry) then I freaked out that I could not write or feel half of my face!

That is when I finally told mom. Which lead to 12 hours in the ER followed by 5 days of IV steroids.I should mention since thier  here that Pastor Kenny and Mouse came all the way to Cleveland to visit me. He told me to adapt and overcome, and that is what I have been trying to do. By letting people know what will help and using special grippers, laptops and if need be people to write homework or tests for me. As I gained confidence and strength,  I am able to write, draw, paint, shake hands, and high five my friends. It was never easy but I have had amazing support from people all around the world.

The doctors diagnosed me with Clinically isolated syndrome (C.I.S.) one episode of what people that have MS deal with on a daily basis. This increases my chances of developing M.S by 20%. I had no fine motor control in my hand. Catching up on school was not easy. School was not my only challenge. As most of you know I love horses! I ride and do liberty work with my pony, I also like working with other people’s horses. I went down the road of “what ifs” like anyone would. What if I can’t ride again? What if I can’t do liberty work? My dream of a career with horses could go down the drain? What if the people that mean so much to me feel like I am a Burden? For example what if my boyfriend of 4 years and counting, does not stand with me through this?

Through it all one Bible verse stuck with me. Philippians 4:13  “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” This verse stuck with me because I had a lot on my mind as you can imagine. This verse tells me, and everyone of you, that no matter what you are going through, family trouble, health problems, issues at school,or maybe just struggling with your faith. That when you give your struggles to the Lord and lay them at his feet he will get you through it. You will get an answer to your questions, it may not be what you wanted to hear or when you thought you needed it but the lord will bring you through it.

For example when Paul was in a dark rat infested prison, he wrote letters to a church he planted in philippi. He wrote about joyous things, things that would uplift the members of that church. He also wrote to them about the conditions he was living in. the way the people treated him and how sick he was. Even though Paul was ill he found the will to write letters to others that were struggling. If you are struggling with something, anything, many things, I want to tell you that Christ, our God, our Father in heaven, is ok with you working to get yourself better. However Paul sets an example of how sometimes the best way to help ourselves is to reach out and help others, Because everyone of us can “do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

In conclusion, because of all the things that I have been through, I have learned that God will bring me through as long as I choose to lay my Struggles at his feet, I will get through it and so will you if you give it to God, Because we can do all things through an amazing Christ who strengthens all of us!

I wrote this as my lesson to my youth group as i was asked to teach a lesson.