Music Notes | Teen Ink

Music Notes

December 29, 2016
By KatherineKrane PLATINUM, San Diego, California
KatherineKrane PLATINUM, San Diego, California
22 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't want to be a coward. It's not a very nice thing to be." - The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making


I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Crescendos and fortissimos fill my thoughts and flood my senses with suddenly crystal clear memories. I can feel my bones vibrate with the deep echoes of cello solos, hear the laughter of my class, taste the pride of my maestro. The memories are rounded at the edges like sea glass, worn down by the tide of the past. But even as the tinny, almost fake sounding recording plays from my phone, I can still remember so clearly what it felt like to play it, to create my own music, to feel it deep in my core. Years later, I can still feel my orchestra, my family, sitting right behind me, tensed behind the backs of my eyes, waiting for the intake of breath that told them, told us, that it was go time.


I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I sink down into the warm, comforting memories of the now ancient soundtrack. Digital keys and bells ring happily, optimistically, and I can feel my spirit rising in childlike giddiness. I can feel the cold wood under my feet as I race to my sister's room. I pant hard, scrambling up to the top bunk, slipping for a moment on the cold, wooden ladder but quickly regaining my balance. I crawl forward and snuggle down against her, tucking my body between her side and the railing of the top bunk. She's already inserted the game chip, and has been waiting for me. The Nintendo jingle chimes and I can taste pancakes and syrup and too much powdered sugar and the song is fading but my childhood self will always be waiting, ready to jump up at the first note of the Pokémon soundtrack.


I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Horns blare and deep strings rumble heavily in rich harmony. My mind fills with images of rolling, golden hills and jagged chunks of volcanic rocks pushing their way out of the landscape like teeth. I feel the heavy thud of horse hooves and watch as how manes seem to blend with the clouds in the sky. The melody softens and my dad brings cookie dough to the couch and sits with a puff of breath. I pull a chunk out of the bowl but can't tear my eyes or ears away. Even to this day, I can remember the rapt attention that I gave to the Riders of Rohan as they seemed to always make it just in time to save the day.
I open my eyes and smile. Music is something that everyone connects to at some point in their life. It's the magic behind every memory, the soundtrack to our childhoods, the background tunes of our relationships and accomplishments. For those of us who play music, it's something that builds a family, something that can never been taken away from you. Music creates connections, memories, relationships, and love all around us. It is the binding and glue that connects cultures across the world. Music is something magical.