I Believe in Newton's Third Law | Teen Ink

I Believe in Newton's Third Law MAG

December 17, 2016
By Anonymous

I believe in Newton’s third law. I believe that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Not only is my belief backed by oodles of scientific research, but I’ve seen Newton’s third law in action. Many times. With my own eyes. I’ve seen it on the playground. I’ve seen it on the road. As I’ve aged, matured, and changed, this law has remained constant, perpetually a part of my life.
Let me take you back to the playground. I was nine years old. I wasn’t an especially tall fourth-grader, but what I lacked in height I made up for on the kickball field. I was the kid you wanted on your team – the first picked, the hardest kicker, the fastest runner.
My fourth grade class got along for the most part, except for this kid named Shawn. Shawn was the nastiest fourth-grader you can imagine. 
That day during kickball, Shawn made a girl cry after she caused the third out for their team. This was the day I saw Newton’s third law in action.
I was up to kick, and Shawn was pitching for the other team. As he got ready to roll the ball to me, the girl he had just harassed was still on the sidelines in tears. I felt something hot inside of my chest when I saw her crying, a feeling that the world was not right, the scales unequal. I decided I would kick a home run in her honor.
Shawn smugly rolled the ball to me, and as it turned out, I kicked something much, much greater than a home run: a line drive, straight to Shawn’s nose. He fell backwards, feet sprawling, mouth sputtering, voice stuttering.
When I saw the blood begin to flow from Shawn’s nose and a smile form on the girl’s tear-streaked face, I knew then that the world has a system in place, a way for wrongs to be righted. I knew then that Newton’s third law existed, and that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. F


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece for an I Believe assignment in Literature, but I would hope people take away from it the fact that karma exists and things come full circle. Obviously I cannot prove this, but it's something I believe, and it makes life's difficulties a little easier.