Go With Your Gut | Teen Ink

Go With Your Gut

December 13, 2016
By Caitlinobs BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Caitlinobs BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have two older brothers. One is named Mike and the other is named Matt and they are both currently in college. Mike is a senior and Matt is a freshman. This is the first year that both of my brothers are in college at the same time. For the first time, I am living the life of an only child. I’m not going to lie, it has been really hard not being able to be with any of my siblings. I don’t understand how only childs live without siblings. I now realize that I very fortunate to have amazing and caring brothers. I knew I only had to wait three months until I could see them again at Thanksgiving.


It was mid-October and my mom and I were sitting at home. I was doing homework while she cooked dinner. The doorbell rang which was strange because we weren’t expecting any visitors. When we opened the door we were completely shocked to see Matt’s friend Alexa standing there. We wondered what she might’ve wanted as this was so unexpected  She explained that she had a few things her family wanted to drop off for Matt since he was coming home soon. I was confused. Matt wasn’t supposed to be home for a whole month. Why did she deliver it now when she could just wait till it was closer to his arrival. I got suspicious. Could Matt be coming home sooner? I asked my mom if she knew anything about Matt coming home soon and she said she had no idea if he was coming home earlier than expected. I wasn’t convinced. I continually asked my parents a million questions about Matt and when he was coming home. They kept telling me that Matt wasn’t coming home until Thanksgiving like we had planned. I didn’t believe them though. I had a feeling that Matt was going to come home. I waited all day, looking out the window constantly waiting to see if a car was going to pull into the driveway. I waited all day for my brother to come home.


It had started to get late, but I was still holding out. It was now twelve o’clock a.m. and still no sign of Matt. I really thought that he was coming home which and was disappointing that I had to go on another day without having either of my brothers. Disappointed that I had to spend one more day alone. I went upstairs and into my room to get some sleep. Before I turned out my light I decided to watch TV on my computer. I was totally zoned in my show until suddenly I see the hallway light shine through underneath my door. I began to assume it was my dad. But it didn’t sound like his footsteps. I didn’t hear the jingling of his cross that I usually hear when he runs up the stairs. Still I dismissed the idea that it could have been Matt. However, it started to get really quiet and I heard someone walk into the bedrooms. I continue watching my show when my bedroom door swings open. I got so startled that I accidently threw my laptop off my bed. It was Matt as I had expected from the moment Alexa rang the doorbell. I was overfilled with joy as it had almost seemed that I couldn’t spend another day without my brother after being apart for so long. Both my parents had known the entire time that he was coming home to surprise me. Even though I did suspect it, it was still an amazing surprise for Matt to come home. The only thing that would have made it better is if Mike was there too.


The next couple days we caught up and talked about what has been going on since we had last seen each other. He told me all about living under the blazing sun in Miami and I told him about my first few months of high school.


Some time passed and soon it was Friday night and my friends and I were planning on going to the football game. I told my mom this and she responded with,


“Don’t you want to stay home and hang out with your brothers?”


“Brothers?” I asked. “I only have one brother home. Does that mean that Mike’s coming home?!”


“Calm down, I meant to say brother. Singular. Why would Mike be coming home? He has classes still.” She responded.


“I don’t know I was just hoping he would.” I had replied. 


I kept badgering my family saying that Mike was definitely coming home just because my mom said brothers instead of brother. They kept telling me that I was insane for thinking that Mike was coming home just because my mom jumbled up her words. However, I was pretty set on coming home and Mike being there.I went out with my friends and headed to the football game. Matt picked me up later that night and we drove home. I had totally forgotten about the whole “Mike” thing. When we pulled into the driveway I noticed that there was an extra car parked. I run in and see Mike sitting on the couch. I yelled “I called it!” to my entire family. They all laughed. It was amazing to have both my brothers home. Although it may seem insignificant to not see my brothers for only a few months, it was incredibly important to me to me as I have never been without either of them for so long. Some people might say they love not having their siblings around because they get more attention from their parents or maybe they just aren't that close with their siblings. I’m lucky enough to have incredible brothers who I cherish and love to be with. It would have been even cooler if I hadn’t figured out that they were coming home to surprise me, but either way I was extremely happy to have them home.


The author's comments:

I hope people will start to cherish and spend more time with their siblings because they will always be your best friends in your life.