The Best in Me | Teen Ink

The Best in Me

By jadenkaplan SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
jadenkaplan SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Many people throughout my life have made me happy. My family, teachers, and friends are just some people who have made me remarkably happy, however, there is one person that I have known for almost six years who has brought out the best in me every time that we are together. This person’s name is Andrei.

Andrei and I used to go to a sleepaway camp in Pennsylvania for four summers, and a teen adventure trip the past summer. Andrei had lived in Moscow for the past four years, but now goes to a school here in the United States.

When we first met, we both admit that it was awkward. We approached each other and shook hands awkwardly. It was both our first year at camp, and we did not know anyone. Knowing we would be in the same cabin, we figured we would introduce ourselves. “Hi, I’m Jaden,” I blurted out.

“I’m Andrei,” he replied. We then shook hands awkwardly, and looked away from each other. This is the first memory I have of Andrei. Since then, we have become best friends, spending each summer together, as well as keeping in touch over social media.

Running around, laughing, and most importantly, having fun is what I did with Andrei. I could be myself with Andrei, and he could be himself. We never get tired of being friends, and we show that each summer that we are together. We had a choice of activities at summer camp, and we did each of them together. Whether it was swimming, outdoor living skills, soccer, or woodworking, we were together.

This past summer, we went on a teen adventure trip that went through Nevada, Utah and California. I saw Andrei for the first time in almost a year when we first met at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas. Once he saw me, he came running over me and hugged me like never before. It was great to finally see each other once again.

On this trip, we did numerous activities, including hiking, surfing, rock climbing, whitewater rafting and touring big cities. Although Andrei was not my only friend on the trip of 12 other kids, we were still so happy to be together.

Andrei overall makes me a better person at heart. He reminds me of all of the values in life. He reminds me to become a better person because of his energetic and creative personality. Nobody can ever come close to the friendship that I have with him. Being far apart and not seeing each other a majority of the year makes it more exciting when we meet again each summer. Now that he goes to school and lives in Delaware, we plan on seeing each other soon.

I also believe that I bring the best out in Andrei. We never get frustrated at each other, and we always are just plain out happy together no matter the given situation. If it is the most horrific day outside such as the weather, we still are happy because we are together, we do not even care about the weather. Our memories over each year have built up tremendously, as we spend more time together.

Saying goodbye each summer is probably one of the worst moments of the year. Each year at camp, we sit in the dining hall and our buses would be called out to leave. On our past trip, we got on separate buses for the airport terminals, and it was upsetting. We plan on seeing each other next summer, which will make another summer of great times and memories.

I wrote about the person who brought out the best in me.