when I moved to New Jersey | Teen Ink

when I moved to New Jersey

By Kiara.Perez BRONZE, Somerville, New Jersey
Kiara.Perez BRONZE, Somerville, New Jersey

I could remember the day my parents sat me and my brother down to bring up the idea of moving like it was yesterday… It was as if time stopped in place and everything was in slow motion.  I was so excited at the idea of moving to a new bigger house and better neighborhood. All these thoughts were flowing through my head except at the fact that my brother was really shocked and upset. We both grew up in that house all our memories were there. ¨Was this a change we needed, is it gonna work out and be ok at the end?¨ I constantly ask myself this question.
  About a week  later we started looking at houses it was so much fun, we had to be looking at about 30 houses all together we searched all over New Jersey. My dad at the time was working nearby a town called Branchburg which lead us to start looking at houses in this town. I didn't really like the first few houses but they started to get good. I remember this one house that we stepped into , the ceiling was on the floor, there was water everywhere it was so cool. Something different I noticed was that there were deer, everywhere and it smelled cleaner.  My family and I finally found a house that we really liked, I could picture myself living there making memories and starting a new chapter in my life. So we made an offer. The neighborhood was almost too perfect to imagine, the schooling was good, it was a dream come true.

Finally  it was time to pack and I was thrilled, I found things I forgot I even had.  We first started packing the small things like all my toys and things from around the house.  My parents were so excited for  this new change but they didn't tell me something really important that affected me.
                      I knew something was up when my parents sat me down once again to tell me “Hey kiara, your grandma decided she doesn't think she will be moving with us to new jersey there is nothing out there for her.” 
         My grandma had been living with us in staten island my whole life and she didn't want to move with us and leave all her friends and the fact that she can walk everywhere because everything was close. The supermarket was just down the block and a whole bunch of stores wasn't too far , if my grandma moved with us it wouldn't be fair. She doesn't know how to drive and she would have no friends in this new town with nothing in a walking distance. I love my grandma so much it really hurt me when I found out but I wasn't going to be selfish ,she would be miserable. This made my brother even more upset because he felt the same as I did.

I had been going to this school called PS22 , a public school since pre k but the education there wasn't amazing. So my parents put me in this catholic school called St Adalbert for 4th grade and I loved it there. I had made new friends and everyone was so nice and accepting. When this move happened I had just started 5th grade I didn't want to go to this different school with people I didn't know I felt so lonely thinking about it. As anyone could probably imagine my last day there was really tough, I was so grateful for all the new friends I had made. Everyone brought me a card and a present to remember them and we had a going away party for me. Before I knew it there had already been a tear down my cheek when the last bell had rang, it was time…. My best friend at the time trinity hugged me and helped me pack everything up, everyone followed me to my bus to say goodbye and gave me flowers. I had been crying for the rest of the day which made my family cry remembering all the memories we had there. They had been tears of joy for a new beginning and celebrating how blessed my family was.
       The first time I went to my new  house it felt weird and not like home so many emotions were flying through my head. The first night I slept there it was scary It felt as if I was sleeping in a stranger's home. I was homesick. My brother was a completely different person he was always angry and upset I felt as if I lost him too. Everything had changed now how I expected it to..

I hated my new school I hated being known as the new girl. No one was like the kids in my old school, everything was different. I always felt left out because everyone here has know each other since they were little but I knew it would get easier. One of the big changes I noticed is that here in New Jersey there are no public buses and no close by walking distance stores. My grandma now visits very often and is happy living with her friend in Staten Island.

I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else but here, while this was a big move saying goodbye to New York it was a change me and my family needed. My brother goes to a nice college and my parents have amazing jobs and everyone is happy. We are living a dream that has come true.