Judged at First Look | Teen Ink

Judged at First Look

December 2, 2016
By YaritzaCV BRONZE, Sacramento, California
YaritzaCV BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" A single lie discovered is enough to create doubt in every truth expressed "


“Hey”, a simple greeting that made me think worst about her than what I already did. A normal fifteen year old teenager, very good looking from the outside but no so much from the inside.A sophomore at Valley high school.Her facial expressions made me think so negative about her.I never met her to know her past than a Hi but I didn’t even want to get that point.It was better to just keep it there.


Her and I never really talked in person except about two times but it was just a simple greeting and how you doing.Even though, it was really rare. It would usually say at a simple smile. We would follow each other on social media but we never messaged each other. I was glad back then I didn’t want it to go beyond that. I was good enough with just seeing her and greeting her. I met her because of my cousins otherwise I’d have no idea who she was at all. My cousins know her mom and every time there is a party she makes food or something,   she would invite them. Each time I also would notice her serious faces and gestures and it would make me feel worst about her.


“Hey, how are you?” she asks with a big smile, talking to me. My cousin is celebrating his son’s birthday and we go and they are there with her whole family, which is a lot.


 “Hey,I am good and you?” I respond back surprised, but it’s disrespectful for me not to answer. I add “Great to see you her, you look nice!” She really does!


At this moment, I am thinking why am I even talking to her, why is she talking to me?


I really was surprised when she talked to me like I never expected that, at least not today.


     “Thank you, so do you”, she responds, shaking my hand with another smile. I can’t do anything but return.


I really don’t think I’d ever have a small conversation like that with her, but sometimes life surprise you once in a while! I sit down in a table next to her with my mom and my sister.


At first, all the time I would see this girl it would make me not like her because she always had a serious face and seemed like she was a bit of a show off.


I walk into the kitchen to go take a seat in the living room. She is there. “It’s alright” I said to myself, “I will try and talk to her.” Which I do and it wasn’t a bad decision.


    “How is school?”I ask


   “Alright, and you?” I question back.


  “That’s good and it’s good, a bit stressing!” she says. We keep talking until finally they leave. “Well, goodbye,I guess we are leaving as well, it was nice talking to you once again, have a good night.”


“Same, I am glad as well hope to talk to you again sometime.” I answer back smiling widely.


A few days after, I start going to the park where my uncles play soccer. Her brother plays in the same team as my uncles. I would see her every sunday, we would always greet each other and talk most of the time. All of that time spent with her and getting to know her a bit more made me change my opinion about her.


I honestly regret taking a quick glance at her and already assuming the worst. I had just seen her for the first time and I had already thought so negative about her. In this life experience, I learned to never just look at someone and judge. Get to know them, they might even end up surprising you.


The author's comments:

 A experience I learned much from, A lot.