The Praying Mantis | Teen Ink

The Praying Mantis

By BRB747 SILVER, Clarkston, Michigan
BRB747 SILVER, Clarkston, Michigan

One day, when I got home from school, I got out of my Grandmas car and saw a Praying Mantis sitting in the driveway. It had its arms folded up in front of its body,

and was cautiously taking in its surroundings. I went up to it and got a closer look at it. Its legs were no thicker than paper. Its emerald green eyes darting back and forth across the landscape. I have rarely ever seen a Praying Mantis before, let alone in my front yard. I was wondering how it got here, when it raised its long arms up into the air. I backed up a little bit, and he/she lowered them. I kept observing the creatures green skin, its long arms and legs, and its round eyes on the sides of its head. It was hard to believe that this little creature was a terrifying predator. It seemed so small and harmless, but it was really one of nature's most terrifying bug predators.  "Come on in, Brady. We have to go in now." I took one last look at the majestic creature, and walked inside, wondering if I would ever see it again.