The Power of Music | Teen Ink

The Power of Music

Have you ever gone through really hard times, or just had a terrible day? I know I have. Music is the answer. If you listen to your favorite song after a bad day at school, it may put a smile on your face. I realized this when my parents got divorced a year and a half ago. Ever since the occurrence, I have been listening to music more and more often. My favorite songs seem to have the power to put a smile on my face.

I was just an eleven-year-old sixth grader at the time. My mom had convinced me the divorce was all for the best, so that’s how I chose to view everything. But after a while, the sadness started to sink in. At lunch for about a week, the first thing I did when I sat down was put my headphones on. It seemed like my friends weren’t what I needed to make me feel better; it was music. Your favorite song is so powerful as to heal your sad feelings and most people don’t even realize it.

I wasn’t able to see my mom as much in the beginning because there was not yet a place for me to stay in her new apartment. I just got to hang out there for a few hours after school with no couch or television. I was unfamiliar with the area, so I couldn’t go for a walk, and I rarely
had any homework. The only thing I could do was read my book, and it was assigned at the time, which I hated. I was so bored. All I ever wanted to do was go home and jump on my trampoline, which sadly wasn’t an option. The transition was hard, but the more I listened to music, the more I seemed to shut some of it out, and I felt a little bit better.

Playing music is also very powerful healer. It helped me a lot. I had just started playing violin at the time, so I focused on that, and I found myself playing my guitar more frequently. The idea that you are creating this beautiful sound is the most satisfying thing in the world, and it just makes you feel good.  Playing music is so amazing. It can be frustrating, but then you feel that much better when you finally accomplish what you desire. Being able to play music is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me, and it’s what was able to get me through this tough time.

Today, The divorce is still fairly new to me. I’m still listening to music a ton - when I’m doing homework, when I’m walking home, and especially while I’m hanging out in my room. I’m playing a lot more, too. It seems like I end up practicing each instrument for at least a half hour when I get the chance, and it’s always the highlight of my day. Music is a giant part of my life and I would never let go it. Music is healing, this I believe.