Trusting a Stranger | Teen Ink

Trusting a Stranger

By MintsoftheAndes BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon
MintsoftheAndes BRONZE, Lake Oswego, Oregon

Why not?

Last summer, I went to the country of Rwanda. While I was there, I met my sponsor child, Patience. He is now one of my best friends in the whole world. Just like almost all Rwandan children, Patience is very trustworthy.
Patience is a 6-year-old who lives in Mbabe, Rwanda. I first met Patience when I went to his house to give him a few gifts on August 10th. He was a little shy at first, but he seemed very kind.

After we gave him our gifts and played with him a little bit, we headed back to the guesthouse where we were staying. A couple days later, we saw him again. He was receiving a goat, which all kids get when they graduate Primary School. He ran up and gave me a hug as soon as he saw us. We stayed at his school for a few hours, and then he left. When he left, he walked up the hill that led to the school backwards, waving the entire time.

The third time I saw him was at church. Coincidently, the church was about 50 feet from his school. When church started, he came over and sat next to me, (along with ten other kids), and held my hand for the entire sermon which is two and a half hours long.

Most kids would not be inviting you over to their house, and giving you hugs when you’ve only known them for a couple hours. They would not be trusting you enough to do any of those things. Yet, Patience did all that. Which, in my opinion, is pretty amazing.

This is a story about me and my friend's trust and friendship.