Not Your Ordinary Camping Experience | Teen Ink

Not Your Ordinary Camping Experience

November 14, 2016
By KillerMemeStar BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
KillerMemeStar BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

People inhaling chocolate powder up their nose, hiding from staff members, and people trying to kill you with sticks is not your ordinary camping experience. Don’t leave teens in the woods is the moral here.


All throughout the week at Camp Cooper we heard of an event called the Migration where your patrol, a group of boys, would be moved out into the woods for the night and you would survive out there. It sounded awesome as there would be freedom to explore the woods and do whatever, but as I soon would find out it was far from that. I had bonded with this group of boys aging from 13 - 15 and thought that they might be normal out there and do what they usually would do which is to eat, sleep, and defecate but instead they did worse.


The day of Migration began with us packing up our bags back at our original camp and then our counselor would give us a GPS and our coordinates and we would be off. Unfortunately our batteries died in our GPS so he had to lead us there which was up on a hill onto a flat surface surrounded by a circle of trees and bushes. He said his goodbyes and left which lead to people thinking nobody was watching and so things got crazy. One person who was reading A Clash of Kings was trying to explain it and its predecessor A Game Of Thrones to me. Poor Khal Drogo. Another person found out we had no water for our chocolate powder, so he poured it in his mouth  instead, and one thing lead to another and he started sniffing it up his nose. But it only got worse. Oatmeal and juice powder was another thing snuffed. The first kid to sniff juice powder got high, or at least pretended to be.
After accidently chucking a rock at a boy named Dave, he started to chase me and try to kill me with a stick. I ran through a forest with the boy following directly behind me. I cut a corner behind a big tree and hide in a pile of leaves. I heard the crackling of other leaves and looked up to see the boy with his mossy stick. He chased after me again and I had to jump over a ditch onto a gravel road to avoid his attacks. I continued running back to camp for some help. My closer patrol mates came charging with branches and threw rocks at him while I hid in some ferns. I finally had the chance to control my breathing a come up with a better plan. I was just gonna apologize. I walked up to him and said,”I’m sorry.” He charged at me again, so I punched him and he finally stopped.


Later, we were spying on a nearby camp until a truck came. It wouldn’t be a problem except for the fact that the trucks were containing staff members which would probably just get mad at you. Me not wanting to get into trouble hid in the woods with the three boys that came with me, but two of them decided to keep moving. Me and this other kid went back to camp crawling through the woods, staying away from the sight of staff members..
This is why you don’t leave teens alone because they’ll start killing each other, inhaling powder, and hiding from staff members.


The author's comments:

My article was made because my teacher made me. Enjoy.