How Social Media Can Affect Teens | Teen Ink

How Social Media Can Affect Teens

By Baller!!!!!! BRONZE, Broomfiled, Colorado
Baller!!!!!! BRONZE, Broomfiled, Colorado

Bob was going to a park to meet a follower,but he never came home because he was killed and his family never saw him again,this is because that having a social media can expose teens to people. Although social media is something that teens use,it can cause various problems.

The first reason for why social media is bad is for teens is because teens don't have private accounts which means unsafe people can follow teens and learn personal things about them and their families. Evidence to support this is “One of the biggest threats to young people on social media sites is to their digital footprint and future reputations. Preadolescents and adolescents who lack an awareness of privacy issues often post inappropriate messages, pictures, and videos” (O’Keefe and Clarke-Pearson). This evidence shows that if teens are separated from their parent because of social media they will not be as safe as they used to be. The next reason for why social media is unsafe is because teens follow random strangers just because of the fact that they like their pictures that they post which can cause teens to be flowing a criminal, murderer.  For example a teenage girl was recently reported missing and found dead after being on social media.  “It has been reported that (social media) is where she may have met the man charged with murdering her, 18-year-old Virginia Tech freshman David Eisenhauer.” The evidence shows that since Nicole did not was talking to on social media she did not expect to be killed by her followers.

Also another reason for way social media is bad is because it can cause bullying and depression this is because if one kid posts something that offends another that kid can start bulling that kid for posting that picture causing the kid that posted the picture to go into depression. Supporting evidence is “In an article in the Washington Post, teenagers were described as almost “embarrassed” to be associated with Facebook.” This shows that teens can get bullied for having Facebook and go into depression so they now don't have Facebook because of the fact that they can be bullied for having it.

Overall, social media can be bad for teens because of the fact that people like Bod and Nicole who were killed by their followers. In conclusion, teens should not have social media. Social media is a bad friend so don't become friends with social media.

Works Cited

Strategies, Author UNT Eagle. "Tag: Facebook." Eagle Strategies Class Blog. Victoria Almond, n.d. Web. 14 Nov. 2016.

Gwenn Schurgin O'Keeffe, Kathleen Clarke-Pearson. "The Impact of Social Media on Children, Adolescents, and Families." Table of Contents. Gateway, n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2016.

Gwenn Schurgin O'Keeffe, Kathleen Clarke-Pearson,. "Why Teens Are Leaving Facebook: It’s ‘meaningless’." Washington Post. The Washington Post, n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2016.
Dr.Phil. "How Social Media May of Played the Role of the Death of a 13 Year Old." The Huffingtion Post. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2016.

"Instagram - Google Search." Instagram - Google Search. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2016.

Snapchat - Google Search." Snapchat - Google Search. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2016.

Google+plus - Google Search." Google+plus - Google Search. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Nov. 2016.

It is about the affects of social media on teens