Ear Surgery | Teen Ink

Ear Surgery

November 10, 2016
By Swimming BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Swimming BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Go to bed,” my mom told me. It was tuesday night and I was in my bedroom. I was getting ready to go to bed when I looked in the mirror and noticed something.

 

“My fake earrings are still on,” I shouted to my mom with a nervous voice. I had gone three weeks of swimming and showering almost daily. I didn't know what would happen to the earrings and my ear.


“You are always forgetting things,” my mom said and sighed. Let's take them off and hopefully they will come of,” my mom said. My mom struggled and got the right earring off.


“The left one won’t come off,” she said continuously pulling.


“ Ow,” I said moving away. “You moved something,” I told my mom.


“Nothing looks different… Oh, the back of your earring isn't there!” my mom almost shouted since she was scared.


“Mabet it's in the front because you pushed it?” I said hopefully because I was getting scared.


“No, not there either. It's probably in your ear,”my mom said quietly because she was getting freaked out. She hoped that she was wrong. My dad came and took a look at it. He got the same results.


“Just sleep for now and we will take you to the doctor tomorrow,” my dad said.

 

The next morning, I was ready with my backpack and wearing my school uniform. I was  a little scared because going to the doctors was always scary. I had no idea what would happen, what the doctors would do and if it would hurt. When we arrived, the doctor asked my mom some questions on what happened. I was put facing the wall with my left ear up.


“Mom, can you please step out so I can do the surgery?” the doctor asked kindly.


“Why do I have to step out?” my mom questioned back. She was nervous because my regular doctor was out on wednesdays and she was a substitute doctor


“People have fainted from watching the surgery and so there is a new rule, nobody else in the room,” the doctor said. I asked the doctor what she was going to do and she told me that my ear was going to be numed. That was not the response I was hoping for but I didn't ask again. I was really nervous about this but I did what the doctor told me to do and I was okay. She did the surgery and I was happy that I did not feel anything.


“Mom, can you come in here and help?” the doctor asks my mom.


“Sure,” my mom replied and held a cotton to my ear.


“How did she take it out, what did she do,” I asked my mom but got no response.


“Here is the earring that was in your ear,” The doctor said, handing it to my mom. “Also you need to wear this cotton and medical tape on your ear,” the doctor said showed us how to put it on. “This medical tape will hold the cotton in place which will help the ear heal,” the doctor explained why I was putting it on. “Switch this every other day before bed,” the doctor mentioned.


“Thank you,” I said as I walked out the door. We drove to my school and during the ride my mom told me that the doctor cut open my ear and took the earring out.


“How did she do that?” I asked my mom after she told. I was thinking of how that was possible.


“I don’t know but did it hurt?” my mom asked.


“No she numbed my ear and so I didn't feel anything,” I replied.

 

I got to school at 11:00 because of the appointment and when I walked in the class everybody was staring at me. I felt really awkward as I walked to my seat. My teacher told the class that I had to get an ear surgery after learning about what happened from my mom. After the announcement people got really curious about why I needed it and kept asking me questions at lunch. I was getting overwhelmed by the questions and asked every body to leave me alone. I told my friends first and then slowly I told everybody in the class. When I got the cotton and medical tape off I was really happy because the thing was bulky and annoying. This was a scary moment in my life that I will never forget.