The Hole | Teen Ink

The Hole

By SriyaV BRONZE, Cupertino, California
SriyaV BRONZE, Cupertino, California

"I think it matters whether someone has a good heart." -Elon Musk

“Hi,” I said to my friends as I walked towards them happily and sat down on the metal bench next to them. Normally we would be talking away, but today we seemed to have nothing to talk about. This was probably because we just had the mile run in PE, which made us really tired. After a few silent minutes, I got really desperate, so I decided to fool my friends into a seemingly impossible rumor that I had heard the other day.

“Let me tell you a secret,” I said, “It turns out that there is a secret base that is underneath the school with all this cool stuff, such as jumbo tv’s, video game systems, and all the stuff that you ever wanted”. I surely felt like this was a bad idea, and it seemed unbelievable, but I obviously couldn’t take back the lie that I just told.

Surprisingly, my friends actually believed the trick and we headed towards the trees to get started.

After a bit of digging, a teacher decided to just come and barge into our business. “What are you kids doing here?” the teacher said. We all dropped our sticks and turned around. To make sure that this ended quickly, I decided to step forward and talk, but one of my friends decided to use no common sense at all and talk! “We were digging a hole until you came and bothered us!” Fear filled my head as I tried hard to keep a straight face. Thankfully, after a few seemingly long moments, the teacher went a few feet away and watched us. I sighed and we cautiously continued to dig the hole, trying not to cause any more unwanted attention.

A few minutes later my friends thought that it was a good idea to leave for the day so that they wouldn’t get in trouble, which left me alone with the hole. I decided to keep on digging just for fun, getting caught up in my own lie. The teacher once again came up to me and said, “What were you actually doing back there?” Wondering whether to tell the truth or not, I finally came to tell the truth. “I fooled my friends into thinking that there was a secret base underneath the school,” I sighed thinking that this was the end. Surprisingly, the teacher replied, “Let them be fooled. It’ll teach them a lesson to believe strange rumors like that.” Startled, I nodded my head and the bell rang, forcing me to go back to class. I was surprised by how a tiny rumor could turn into something so big, so I decided to let this go on to see what would happen next.

After a few more days of digging, one of my other friend’s stick poked on something hard in the ground. I got really excited and ran over to see what we had discovered. “Whatever this is could cover up the lie that I told,” I thought to myself. When we uncovered the mysterious object, we were confused and scared. At first, it looked like a pile of trash, but then we found out that it was a dead goose! “I’m not telling any more rumors like that!” I thought the next day.

I enjoyed writing this story as it reminds me of the time this actually happened.

SSSS said...
Very nice story

HyperBunny said...
HyperBunny, Cupertino, California
Really good story!

Mr.Gr said...
Mr.Gr, Cupertino, California
Love it. Perfect small moment story.

SriyaV BRONZE said...
SriyaV BRONZE, Cupertino, California

Cool story!