The Day I Met My Best Friend | Teen Ink

The Day I Met My Best Friend

By sarahc5 SILVER, Mocksville, North Carolina
sarahc5 SILVER, Mocksville, North Carolina

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." Albus Dumbledore

On August 30th I spent most of the night in the hospital because I couldn’t remember things that I should have known. I was diagnosed with with transient global amnesia. The next week at school was very tough because I couldn't remember the date so I didn't know when things were due and I had forgotten peoples names. That friday after school my older sister, AnnaBeth, had come home from college for the weekend. Her and my mom had gone to the grocery store so they weren't home when i got home. shortly after I got home and was settled in doing my homework they pulled into the driveway. I slipped on my shoes and went to help them bring in the groceries. They had bought my favorite candy bar, a zero bar. Later AnnaBeth told me that they were going to get me a kitten but they didn't apparently that was just a thought. This made me even more upset because i kept thinking about how happy I would have been if they had come home with a kitten. I already have a cat but he is three years old and his name is Leroy but he does not like to be cuddled or touched at all really. That Saturday we went out to eat to celebrate my little sister Olivia’s birthday. On the way home from the restaurant we took the backroads and my mom told me that if i saw a sign that said anything about free cats or cats for sale that we would stop and check it out. I looked and looked but I saw no signs. Almost home, we stopped by my church because we noticed our church friends Kim and Jane were there and my mom needed to talk to them. When my mom got done talking Kim asked us what we had been doing today. “Celebrating my birthday: Olivia exclaimed and gloomily I said looking and failing at find a cat for sale. That was when a huge smiled spread across Kim's face. She then told me that one of her friends had posted in facebook that they had a stray who needed a forever home. She asked if I was interested and I screamed yes! She pulled up the photo that her friend had posted and the moment it loaded I fell in love. I instantly got my hopes up but then Kim said “let me text her and see if she still has it.” I’m sure at that moment my mom was saying a silent prayer that she hadn't already given the kitten to someone else because she saw how happy and excited I got and I hadn't even met the cat yet. I waited and finally Kim's phone buzzed on the table we all waited while she read the text message “ she still has the kitten” Kim yelled in  excitement. We didn't quite know how to get to the ladies house so Kim let us follow behind her. The whole way there me and my sisters were trying to come up with names we finally landed on the name Margaret and I decided we could call her Margo for short. I was thrilled. When we pulled into the driveway I was the first one out of the car then came the woman out of the house carrying little Margaret. She handed her to me while her husband gathered up some of her toys and her cat treats. She was so warm and small and soft. She was purring so loudly it was beautiful. The husband told me about the night he was driving down the road at Greasy Corner when it was dark and raining and he thought he spotted something in the road he stopped to see what is was and when he saw it was a kitten he picked it up and took it home. “He came in the house crying “ “ oh honey oh honey she is so cold and wet we have to keep her for at least a little while” At this point Margret had fallen asleep in my arms. She was so cute. When we took her home Leroy didn't quite like the fact that we came home with another cat. He would hiss at her and then run away he did this for about two weeks but then they got to where they could be in the same room then they started eating out of the same bowl then they started playing together and now they even take naps together on the couch. Now everyone is happy and that was the day I met my bestfriend.