Scariness Personified | Teen Ink

Scariness Personified

By MBaker BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
MBaker BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

A little boy, around seven years old, stepped into the hospital room and stared at his father, lying still in a hospital bed. He ever so slowly inched towards said bed, looking back at his mother, who told him to continue forwards. Frightened, he did as he was told and once again began to move closer and closer. He finally reached his destination and looked into the eyes of his father. He smiled, and his father smiled back. He had tubes connected to his entire body, including his throat, which made it impossible for him to speak. All the boy could do was walk up to his father, give him a hug, and say “I love you.” Taking great effort, his father mouthed the words right back.

After learning that his father was in the hospital, the boy’s emotions were mixed. He was afraid and worried, but he was also hopeful and struck with wonder. He hoped his father would survive, and that he would be able to hug him goodnight. He wondered at night and in school, what would change. If everything worked out, what would happen when his father came home? If something went wrong, how would he and his mother and his sister cope without him. As the days passed by, living without his father almost became normal, and although his hope remained the same, he carried on with his life with a new family structure. A grandmother who cared for him and a mother who was rarely home. He had friends over to his house, he went to school, he did his homework.

Everything was normal, but really, it wasn’t. His mother left more frequently. His grandmother seemed to be her stand in. With his mother always at the hospital with the boy’s dad, the boy felt lonely. Not only had his father been away, but now his mother was gone even more often. Thus, he was left with his grandmother to watch him and his sister, and although he loved her dearly, he still missed his mother. “Why,” he would wonder, “What did I do to deserve this?” One day, after many months, he got the chance to go into the city to visit his father. Before he, his sister, and his mother left, his grandmother told them to say a prayer. They sat down together, and all the boy could think was, “Please, make sure he is okay. I need him to come home.” The visit, as short as it was, filled the boy with relief, because he got to see his father with his own two eyes. He gained an even greater hope and determination that his father would be okay. Before his next visit, the boy did something he had never done before. He watched the superbowl without his father. That year, the Giants had won, and he and his family visited his father the next day. He said repeatedly, “The Giants won, they won.” His father’s smiling face was worth seeing, as he thought, “I watched it for you. I wish you were there to see it with me.”

For the first time in his entire life, the boy celebrated his birthday without his father. Of course, his other relatives visited, but the boy still had an empty feeling in his stomach. Having his cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents give their best wishes was not the same as hearing the words from his father. Having to sit with a practically foced smile, just to seem grateful. The boy could only be truly happy, if his father was there. More time passed and the boy continued with his normal schedule. School, homework, friends, video games, but an obvious change had occurred, and it was quite evident to everyone that knew him. He was more shy around others. He began having frequent meltdowns. And all the while, some petty little brat at school had chosen this boy as his target. No matter where he turned he felt like he was struggling. Time continued to pass, and things began to get better. The boy confronted his classmate, which gave him more confidence and visits with his father became more frequent. Things slowly got easier and he started becoming more outgoing and content. Although the shyness had become a part of his personality, it too faded, and he started becoming more sociable. After a few more months of dealing with stress and worry, it was announced that soon, his father would be released from the hospital. The boy was excited and could not wait for the day in which his father would be coming home.

After a few more weeks of waiting, the day had come. A party was held for the father’s discharge from the hospital. The boy’s entire family had shown up to celebrate. They waited in an almost dead silence, as they readied themselves to see the boy’s father. Soon enough, he was wheeled into the room, and was greeted by hugs and kisses from everyone. The boy walked up to his father’s wheel chair and hugged him, on the brink of tears. After what felt like an eternity, the boy let go and looked into the eyes of his father. They were finally together again. As the party came to an end, and everyone was prepared to leave, the boy, his mother, his father, and sister walked towards the car. His father was helped in to return home after ten months of being hospitalized. A long road awaited him, filled with rehabilitation and physical therapy. As they began to drive home, the boy murmered the single words “Welcome home.”

In my experience, illness takes it's toll on more than just the afflicted.