Unexplained | Teen Ink

Unexplained

October 25, 2016
By AshlynnH SILVER, Newmarket, New Hampshire
AshlynnH SILVER, Newmarket, New Hampshire
7 articles 1 photo 1 comment

It was 3:00am two summers ago. I had just moved into the bedroom I am in now. In the room next door, my sister and her friends were up talking about who knows what. In the window next to my bed, there was a fan, gently blowing the air in from the quiet night.


A faint smell of perfume wafted through the open window, startling me. It smelled sweet, like something my mom would wear. I inhaled slightly, trying to pinpoint the memory swimming at the edge of my mind, just out of reach.


These smells had come in every night. A new scent wafted through the window, each bringing up a different memory. I don’t know what they were, but I usually liked them. This time, I went back to watching the video on my phone. I couldn’t sleep, my mind was racing a thousand times faster than it should have been at this hour.
Nothing happened for a while. The lights were off, my rottweiler- Bear- was sleeping in the corner of my room, snoring softly. Outside my window, the moon shone brightly, slightly touching the tips of the trees. Below, on the street, the street light tossed the end of my street into an eerie glow. The wind blew lazily through the birch tree out front.


I plugged my phone in, and tried to get some sleep.


I am still not sure how much time went past, but I will never forget what happened next.


It was all within an instant. I felt a weird presence in the room,and before I could even think, I couldn’t move. I was paralyzed to my bed. It was like someone was pinning me down, and the end of my bed went up and slammed back down, without a single sound. I tried to control my breathing, My heart was pounding in my chest. My mind whirred with possibilities. I asked my sister later, but she didn’t know anything.


To this day I still don’t know what happened. Nothing that I can think of makes any sense. I do believe in the paranormal, but looking back now, I am not even sure if I was awake, or at least not fully awake.


This was something that had never happened to me before. Almost everyone in my family has experienced something strange, and unexplainable in both of my parents’ houses. Maybe we have a ghost, or a demon. Or maybe not. Maybe, I am just losing my mind.