Growing Up Fearless | Teen Ink

Growing Up Fearless

As a child, you experience a lot that changes you into the person who you will one day become. Every single day something slowly shapes you, good or bad, into who you are. In a perfect world there would be no more bullying, or poverty, but in reality not everyone has wonderful experiences growing up. And I’m not saying I had a terrible childhood, I had two parents that loved me to death and three amazing siblings. Everyone knows that bad things happen, and those are usually the events that have a serious impact on us behaving the way we do. We go through the bad so we can learn to overcome it and not let it stop us.

Growing up as a child, I was fearless. My parents called me the daredevil child, or the one that was going to give them a heart attack. In my eyes, I was simply exploring and learning new things, but to them, I was on the verge of seriously hurting myself. But what's wrong with that? Of course I got injured, what kid doesn't. Without experience you can not grow. I remember one time my brother had been in his stroller and for some reason I believed it was possible for me to be like Superman. So what did little me do? Exactly what you’re thinking, I climbed up the stroller without hesitation only to fall backwards cracking my head open. My parents were panicking but I was fine. I held a paper towel on my head and laughed, they didn’t think it was as funny.. But thankfully this wasn’t the first time something like this has happened. My sister came into my room singing “Ring around the Rosie” and the second time she sang it, I stood up on my changing table type thing and jumped off. Needless to say, I was absolutely fearless. All my experiences of being a “daredevil” have really impacted my life.
Those experiences haven’t always had the best impact on me, I realized that I never really had someone to turn to when in need. I had grown up being the girl that was ready to take on the world, so no one really thought to stop and ask if I ever needed someone to talk to. Turns out being so independent so young isn’t as beneficial as it seems. Of course I made friends, it’s hard not to in elementary school when everyone is friends with each other. Middle school was rough. I had friends but I never felt close enough with them to share what was going on in my life. I kept everything inside and eventually I exploded and went on a downwards spiral, I wasn’t the happy little girl everyone remembered. It felt like I was never going to get past it all and move on with my life.

It wasn’t until my sophomore year when I met this guy who completely changed my life. We had this connection that I had never felt with anyone before. He became the first person who knew how break down my wall and became my person to lean on. It was as if I had finally learned after all this time how to live my own life again. I couldn’t of asked for a better best friend, we were inseparable. I wouldn’t be the person I am or where I am today without him and words can never describe how thankful I am that he came into my life. Fortunately I don’t just have him in my life that I can turn to for comfort or support. I am lucky enough to say that I don’t have just one best friend that I absolutely adore, I have two. Meeting Eric, was impeccable timing. I had just gone through a really bad time and he came into my life after a church retreat called Kairos. He’s the type of person you always want to have around. No matter what problems I have, I know that Eric will always be there for me, he’ll put everything down just to listen. He cheers me up whenever I’m down and I don’t really know what else you can ask from a friend.

Without people like Eric and my other friend, I wouldn’t be the same person I am today. They were here for me when no one else was, they saw past the fearless girl. They taught me that it’s okay to ask for help, and that no matter what someone will always be there for you. I don’t even want to imagine where I would be today if they hadn’t walked into my life, but thankfully I never have to. Although the little fearless girl will always be apart of me, I have turned into a completely different person.